What are the "must have" portable radios?
Jun 15, 2006 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
What radios are famous for AM and FM selectivity, sensitivity, audio quality and reception? In all my research, there are some of the same models that always seem to come up: Sony 7600, Kaito KA 1103, Sangean DT 200v, Sangean 909, and others. If what one wanted was a pure communication, entertainment device, what would be the great, legendary models to look for, especially the ones currently for sale new?

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 12
If you are only looking for AM/FM coverage, a good way to get your feet wet is with the GE Superadio. The Model III is the current product. Great AM performance, fairly good FM performance. Nice sound for a portable with a single 6.5" speaker, also a little tweeter. Build quality was never great, but I understand current examples are a little shaky. Buy one with the ability to return it if not up to standards. If you get a good one, keep it! It's one of my 2 portables I will never part with.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 12
In addition to the ones Dead of... mentions,

Grundig Satellit 700 (long out of production but outstanding AM/FM and SW)

The Sony ICF-2010 (out of production) is very famous for its exemplary AM/SW reception but the FM is only mediocre and is not stereo.

The Sony ICF-SW77 (out of production) improves on the 2010 in some areas but retreats in other areas (according to others - I don't own it) but the FM is stereo.

The Grundig Yacht Boy 400 is generally well regarded (I owned one briefly -- thought is was OK -- good performance and sound I didn't care much for the ergonomics)

The Tivoli PAL is OK -- the AM is a bit lacking because of the way the small, internal bar antenna is mounted next to a ground plane which reduces its ability to receive signals. The FM has good sensitivity and image rejection. Selectivity is a mixed bag. The selectivity can be good because of use of two IF filters, however AFC is utilized which while making tuning easier can make the radio "choose" the stronger signal next to a weak one so the selectivity goes for naught. The sound through the stereo headphone jack and the mono speaker is quite nice. The rubberized coating on some of the PALs wears off fairly easily. Built-in rechargable batteries is a nice feature. It's an interesting radio, not without flaws. I did keep mine.

Excepting the YB400 these radios are all fairly bulky.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Excepting the YB400 these radios are all fairly bulky.

I've been happy with mine. It does everything but the dishes.

A while back I saw Grundig's Porsche Design SW radio at Circuit City for short money. I'd have snagged it if I did not have the YB400 already. I love the way the leather cover snaps right into the faceplate on that model.

Jun 16, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Unfortunately the Grungig G2000A Porsche Design is a medicre radio at best. Clever design and look, however. The radio has restricted SW coverage (though still fairly wide), is single conversion (images on SW) and the FM is run of the mill. For the same money the Degen/Kaito DE-1103 is vastly superior, perfomance-wise.

Paul

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Unfortunately the Grungig G2000A Porsche Design is a medicre radio at best. Clever design and look, however. The radio has restricted SW coverage (though still fairly wide), is single conversion (images on SW) and the FM is run of the mill. For the same money the Degen/Kaito DE-1103 is vastly superior, perfomance-wise.

Paul

Ahhh... too bad. I'm glad I still have the 400PE, in that case!

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 12
BTW, rumor has it that the YB400 (as well as the more simple YB360 with partly very similar circuitry, I have the service docs for both) was made by Sangean. Definitely somewhere far-east and not in Portugal, where the YB500 (incidentally a noticeably worse performer on shortwave) came from. (That being said, even the old Yacht Boys from the '80s were made in Singapore or thereabouts.) The only known weakness in terms of receiving performance appear to be FM images on shortwave, IIRC caused by oscillator harmonics. It is quite unfortunate that Grundig missed the market for well-performing compact digital shortwave portables for so long, while Sony and Panasonic certainly sold them by the bucketload in the late '80s.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Yoou may want to consider Sangean's WR-1.

How's the WR-2? BTW, these are both little table radios, more meant for a nightstand then in a car or backpack. They don't take batteries, just AC or DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back