What are the most overpriced headphones?
Dec 7, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #76 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@deltaspirit
First of all,i have been a member for 3 years and you joined this year,and i have 4 times more posts than you.
so show some respect.
secondly,i don't have to justify my actions to you,i already explained why i did what i did,but you ignored it,so i don't care what you think.
this is it,i'm not going to respond to ANY posts regarding this.
as i said,if anyone has a problem with me PM me.
and as for you-deltaspirit,you are on my ignore list from now on.goodbye.

popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #77 of 97
Amazon frequently has the D5000 for about $450.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you finding D5000's for $450?

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #79 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading thru the thread I came across something I really agree with, anyone paying $1800. for a pair of HD800s are getting stung, in that they are paying more than $400. over list price.
wink_face.gif

Try this on for size:

1,999.00 AUD = 1,831.28 USD

Where did I come up with these outrageous numbers ?

New Products - Len Wallis Audio

That's actually a marked improvement : list price was initially AUD 2395, but our dollar has strengthened since the HD800 was launched to much fanfare in *February*. Aah, whats nine months between launch and making the headphones available for sale ...

Short answer is that some of us *are* paying more than $400 over the RRP in the US. I imagine that its even worse in GB.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #80 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, first of all I think that the majority of hi-fi equipment is overpriced.

This.

As much as I love all forms of audio, the margins on these things are ridiculous! Working retail and seeing all the store costs for these items just make you wonder how much less it cost the actual manufacturers to make them.

After my store started carrying Martin Logan speakers, I was tempted to grab a pair after viewing the ridiculous mark up! I just wish we carried high end headphones still.

Some stuff is definitely worth the price if you have no other options and I do not regret my K601s and would gladly pay another $200 for another pair if these implode on me in the future.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #81 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything over 500 dollars is overpriced. Except for the Audeze LCD2, which as far as I know, is made by hand in the USA

I may be interpreting your post wrong, but it sounds like you are either implying that producing the product inefficiently make it less overpriced, or that by having more of the money go to workers instead of owners means they are less overpriced.

Certainly there is an argument to be made about the superiority of hand made items, but not all items. Few of us, I imagine, would rather have a computer motherboard which is all hand soldered, but might be delighted in a hand made leather shoe. There is an association with handmade and quality craftsmanship that I am not sure holds up universally. I certainly agree that some handmade items offer superb craftsmanship, and I believe many machine made items offer superb craftsmanship.

I am certainly not knowledgeable about Audez’e, or the LCD-2. I know neither the cost of the HPs, or the design, and I am very sure it is out of my price range. I do have a pair of Grado 325is, which I consider assembled in the USA and possible made in the USA. I am not sure that I value them more because of that.

(An analogy of the point that I originally thought I was trying to make, with possibly limited success is this. Imagine a company selling 99.9999+% pure copper cable from copper mined by a single artisan miner in a remote high altitude Canadian mountain. Now imagine another company selling 99.9999+% pure copper cable mined from where ever, but primarily from automated mines in Argentina. Why does it matter where it was mined if at most the difference is .0001-%? It is an imperfect analogy because many people believe that while a machine can make a more consistent product, by hand craftsman can make a superior product. I do not know if that is true or not when it comes to driver winding and magnet forming.)

(BTW, those are very attractive headphones. I had somehow not seen them yet. I imagine they are well outside my price range, but they sure are pretty.)

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #82 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the most overpriced headphones in your opinion?
i'd say RS1's(not the "i" verison)
the GS1000 sounded 10 times better to me than the RS1 from a brief audition i had at a store.

there are som many ways i could answer this, but i will just say............. wrong

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #83 of 97
I think the HD800 are overpriced.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #84 of 97
I think any phone like say a HD 800, any Grado above RS2, AKG K1000, Stax, and especially a phone like the R10 is over priced.........
mad.gif

But then I'm also tone deaf and jealous of people who have the above mentioned phones.......
L3000.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #85 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, to me, it's the GS-1000's rather than the RS-1's. I think they sound terrible compared to all of Grado's other headphones and aren't nearly worth their price tag.

I think the AT ATH-L3000 is the most overpriced headphone I've ever met. I remember hearing these at the northern NJ head-fi meet. I had just set up my rig and someone handed them to me and said, "I have the L3000's, want to try them?" I'm like, "I'm not familiar with those," and someone else said, "Do you have any idea how much those cost?" and I was like "nope". Having the understanding that the person had paid a lot for them, I put them on my head and was just immediately underwhelmed. How can a headphone that costs so much sound so blurry and confused? The sound was well-balanced, but jeez, the instrumental separation was just terrible.

I will add only that the Green leather set (ATH-L3000) /were up for sale here a month or two ago was the most overpriced headphone.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #86 of 97
Well I'm sure I paid too much for the headphones I got, Pioneer SE-2P's.. I paid $89 for them, but they were in mint condition, with the original box, just couldn't pass down vintage Pioneers.. I'm a sucker for anything vintage..

Actually, right now I'm STILL trying to get used to better sound with toned bass, and sharp mids.. I'm not used to that, my ears have been used to the overbloated bass and treble, and find myself constantly tweaking the bass and treble controls on my onkyo amp, without overdriving the poor 43 year old drivers..

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #89 of 97
I was just listening to my ESW9's and think they're overpriced. A lot of eye catching fluff with average sound for the price. The MSRP was a whopping $549. However, I did get mine for $295 and even then, I'm still not impressed that I got good value for money. I got mine from an official dealer so I'm not using a dud.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #90 of 97
All of Sennheiser's upper line. Especially the HD800 and HE60/90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back