What are the most hours you have ever worked in one week?
Feb 15, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 38
My old anatomy lecturer told us once that he worked a 150 hour week as a junior doctor. I'm inclined to believe him, because he was a robot of a man. On the other hand, I can't help but think of the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch.... "When I was a lad I used to work 27 hours a day and pay the foreman for 't privelege of coming to work etc etc etc"
Andrew

Feb 16, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 38
close to 80 hours working two jobs when i first moved to seattle. the fact i wasn't getting much sleep didn't help.

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 38
In my youth when I lived in Seattle I worked at the steel mill there. I remember working double shifts for at least 7 days straight. So I will chime in with 112 hours. I do remember getting some nice checks. The sad part is when I went back to college my first engineering job after graduation paid far less than the steel mill.

Feb 16, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #20 of 38
Unless one feels obligated to work these hours either out of financial concern or job security (which is highly illegal), it really really sucks. Large cheques are nice, but honestly...anything over 40 hours for a single job and I start to get edgy. I work two jobs presently and I put in about 55 hours/week. Split between two, it is quite nice and one of my jobs is more like a hobby than a job really, thankfully I get paid to do it.

Hopefully these large hours are not a regular occurence for all of you.

Feb 16, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 38
I've done 57 once, it wasn't that bad except for the lack of sleep between the shifts.

I remember my dad joking about how back in the homeland: in the communist days people would work 2 jobs under the table and try to claim wages for them - but they got found out. When the police questioned them how it was possible for one person to record 25 hours a day for their wages, they would answer "I got up an hour early."
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Hopefully these large hours are not a regular occurence for all of you.

Since I'm responsible for a 24/7 network I'm on call 24/7.
So sometimes a week can get busy.
But it really does balance out in the end.
I don't get any overtime so I make it up with comp time.
I really like my job so that helps alot!

Feb 16, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 38
around 75 hours (several times) working at a six flags park a few years back. They were seasonal, so overtime laws didn't apply, plus the wage was horrible (this was around 98-99), supervisors only made $6.25/hr. So if you wanted a decent paycheck, you had to work lots of double shifts. I probably averaged about 60 hours a week.

Feb 16, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 38
8-12hours 6days a week, it's not the amount of hours in a week you work that taxes you, it's the duration, if you work overtime on a weekly basis for 3 months, man it ruins the rest of the year. I don't know about office jobs though, I've only worked labor, far less pay but far less work and all you might get is a headache and some stress, sure beats exhausting yourself.

Feb 16, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 38
frown.gif

I was managing part of a new cinema complex that had just opened in Wellington (New Zealand).

I would do anything from a 10 - 15 hour day. What made it even worse was that getting to work involved: 15 minute walk, 30 minute train ride, 25 minute walk.

I tended to have about 5 - 8 hours at home each day and that was all. From a week before we opened, I did 29 days of this in a row before I had a day off. I continued in the job for two months, but in the end it was just too much work, too little pay, and it wasn't in any awy enjoyable so I quit.

My body then decided to shut down and I was sick for nearly a month
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 38
I've worked a 75 hour week as well as a 70 hour week, back to back. I was in the UK at the time doing a Windows 2000/Exchange migration for the company I worked for. It wasn't all that bad, really...got paid over time (time and a half, and some double time) and got to drink really good beer for the time I was over there. MmmMmmm...Guinness!

Made a LOT of money, too!
biggrin.gif

During that same project, I worked a 28 hour day
redface.gif
No over-time on that one...

Feb 18, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #30 of 38
I think my record would be 75 hours in one week. My average week is around 50 hours, although that has been going down a little in the last couple months. I have worked more 14 or more hour days than I can count. They are tiring, but once I got used to them it wasn't so bad. Luckily those haven't occurred much in the last few months either. I work in retail as an assistant manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back