What are the most comfortable DURABLE sleeves?
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cougar_hook

New Head-Fier
I'm getting the Etimotic HF5. Because I was told it has the cheapest(price) BEST sound isolation.

Now, I also heard that the sleeves/ear tips suck and are super stiff.

How can I get the the softest and most durable and most noise blocking sleeves?

Remember this, I wear earphones 17-20hrs per day, every day.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 7
Foams from the packet, double flange tips (made by cutting the end flange of the triple flange tip), or klipsch tips are all pretty comfortable

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 7
How long do the foam sleeves last?

I mean I'll be using them for more than 17 hours per day. About how many days would I have before they become saggy and squished flat like an old pillow.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 7
Not many. You can wash your foams in hydrogen peroxide to clean them, but you're best off using Shure Olives or trying the silicone tips that come with it first.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Youch, I'm spending up to nearly $200 dollars with tax/shipping charges.

I'm thinking of going with a custom set now, the cheapest is $400 but I'll never have to worry about buying $20 dollar sleeves every month, because I use the earphones WAY too much.

Should I add $300 dollars and get the custom ones? Hehe.

Also, the main best custom IEM sellers are JH Audio and Ultimate Ears?

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 7
I swear, whatever tips come with the cheapo $20 JVC Marshmallow earbuds are the longest lasting ever. About 40 hours of use a month for a year (with the same two tips) doesn't lie. Be wary before buying; they only fit selective earbuds, like they won't fit my Klipsch in-ears.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, the HF5 isn't really worth that much. You can get better for your money. The HF5 only isolates the most if you use the tri-flange tips that are included, so if you're buying based on that then keep that in mind. For around $200 you can get the Westone 2, which would be a cut above. Heck, you could even get a used ER-4P. There's another IEM that would be better value too, but I can't say as I sell it. There are a few of them that are better value, maybe you'll stumble along that one if the sound sig catches your eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back