What are the headphones you've regretted purchasing and why?
Aug 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #31 of 60
Oh, forgot about the Shure SRH1540. Most lifeless headphone I think I ever heard. So sad because the technical performance and comfort were fantastic. Really wanted to like that one.

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #32 of 60
I somewhat regretted buying the Audeze LCD-2C. I bought them new, and even bought the carrying case for them, but when I got them I felt they weren't really all that special. At the time I owned the Koss ESP-950 and felt that they were very similar, with the Koss having a larger soundstage. Bass sounded very similar between the two, and fell well short of the reputation they had. When I went to the official LCD-2C thread to grind my axe people informed me that when people talked about the LCD-2C having great bass, they meant when EQ'd; as if most headphones don't have great bass when you EQ the bass up. :unamused:

Ended up trading them on for a pair of Klipsch HP-3, which I felt were considerably better. For that one reason I don't entirely regret buying the LCD-2C.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #33 of 60
I don't think that I've ever regretted purchasing a headphone - I've auditioned every single product before parting with my cash. On the other hand, I regret selling some of my stuff. For example, I miss the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation); it was a fun, energetic "v-shaped" can. Anyway, this is not the scope of this discussion, so I won't derail the thread any further. :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #34 of 60
Pioneer Master Se-1: Great build quality, much comfort but 10db too much bass.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #35 of 60
I somewhat regretted buying the Audeze LCD-2C. I bought them new, and even bought the carrying case for them, but when I got them I felt they weren't really all that special. At the time I owned the Koss ESP-950 and felt that they were very similar, with the Koss having a larger soundstage. Bass sounded very similar between the two, and fell well short of the reputation they had. When I went to the official LCD-2C thread to grind my axe people informed me that when people talked about the LCD-2C having great bass, they meant when EQ'd; as if most headphones don't have great bass when you EQ the bass up. :unamused:

Ended up trading them on for a pair of Klipsch HP-3, which I felt were considerably better. For that one reason I don't entirely regret buying the LCD-2C.
Same here. I generally do not like Audeze sound. They sound a bit fuzzy and thick for my taste with the upper-mids recession (the new R has recession as well). I like high separation and resolve with top imaging qualites. X and 2C (the closed) were alright.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 60
LCD 2c (overrated sound and awful ear coupling), X00 mahogany (garbage sound stage, clubby bass, no class treble), HE-5se (miserable in most ways), grado 80 (classic grado - weak bass, metallic treble) 4XX (ok for money but really very flawed)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #37 of 60
I regret every time I buy an iem. I just dont enjoy them and keep trying.

I had a Kennerton Odin MK2 that had a vibration in one of the drivers. I sent them to Kennerton and Valentin offered to upgrade to the new Thridi drivers. I enjoyed the Thridi but regret changing from the Odin MK2. It was so good and nearly impossible to find now.

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #39 of 60
Kinda wish I sprung for the Arya over the HD800S recently, as I got the HE5XX after and am thoroughly enjoying it all around... so maybe hifiman is the way to go?

HD800S are really good, but I just like many genres more on the HE5XX.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #41 of 60
I just purchased a brand new set of Clear's, and they don't fit my weird shaped head very well. But, I can't return them and the secondary market is SOFT because I didn't do my research. Oh well, live and learn! If anyone wants them, let me know

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #43 of 60
Oh man, over the years there are a ton. Mostly because I really don't care for headphones that much and only used them because I had to for whatever reasons. I have spent years looking for headphones that could rival the sound stage of speakers, or at least get close. Discovering that just isn't a thing for the most part. Two that come to mind off the top of my head are a small set of B&W over ear headphones. They sounded decent enough, better than most of the cheap crap I normally buy. However they were not very comfortable, wouldn't stay on my head and quit working after 2 years. One side just died. Not sure if a wire got messed up or the driver went out. The second was a very expensive (to me) Astro gaming headset. Like a 3 or 4 hundred dollar headset. I forget the model but it came with a separate volume control and dac module. These did not sound good at all and the mic was even worse. I took them back the next day and got some HyperX Cloud II's which were great and only cost 90 bucks.

Then you have all the various budget phones for 50 or 60 bucks that were just meh and tuned for way too much bass.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #44 of 60
I regretted loving the Beyerdynamic DT150 600ohmm and had to return it because there was no way I could tolerate the headband it gave me splitting headaches that no padding could correct- too bad b/c those were some amazing cans (aside from the fake leather ear pads that made me my ears hot and a headband which used to dig into the top of my head like a spike- and yes I have a full set of hair and tried pads- nothing worked had to return... )
(pictured one of my favorite singers London Grammar)
1630435848229.png

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 60
Hifiman HE4XX

Still have the cans, but headtime is less than 50hrs (excl. burn-in), just cannot get into the sound, slightly recessed hollow sounding mids, peaky treble. Bought because of all the hype around the HE4 series being great planar starter without the need for modding and incredible price/perf value, but was left sorely disappointed

The fostex T50 series are so much nicer to listen to, just do those simple 5min mods (cotton wool, closing off cup vents), and you get a very balanced natural sounding phones for cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back