What are the best value headphones under $50?
Jun 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, for the record, based on personal experience with both headphones, I think the 7m's stomp all over the ER-6i's if you like even a moderate amount of bass (or any bass sustain) in your music. Those single BA's produce a lot of detail (sometimes to an artificial degree), but there are limits to the design, and those limits are quite audible in the bottom end of the frequency curve, at least to my ears.

Yes, the Er6i do lack in bass somewhat, but what is there is so tight and precise that I'm willing to let them slide. In addition, my Olive Tips, Fiio E5, and colored Sansa all add lower-end emphasis, so an earphone that starts out with high-end emphasis works best for my setup.

I'll have to try the Ne-7's someday though. Curiosity's a cruel mistress (to my wallet).

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ne-7m - $50 + $5 shipping (Could I find these cheaper elsewhere?)

Nuforce occasionally throws returned ones up on amazon for $40+shipping. They had 2 pairs last week when I put my Ne-8's up.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so here's what I've narrowed down the list to so far:

ADDIEM - $32 (Are the ones in that listing the same make/model/version as the popular ones? And are they real?)
Head-Direct RE2 - $40
Ne-7m - $50 + $5 shipping (Could I find these cheaper elsewhere?)

I think the UHP336s are too big for my tastes, so I probably won't get those. And I might add the PL-50s to the list when I can find them. The PK3 are interesting, but my ears don't seem to like earbuds, and they don't stay in place. I'm definitely open for further suggestions though.

Oh, and if someone could comment as to whether these are the right ADDIEMs to buy, I'd be very grateful:

Apple iPod In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic - eBay (item 160339449351 end time Jul-01-09 23:48:11 PDT)

As I noted, this seller, 7dime, is legit. I bought a pair from him. I think the ADDIEMs are the best under $40 phones you can buy, but that's just me. But only if you use either Comply T130 large foamies, or Sony hybrid silicones (I use large).

I have owned most of those phones on the list, and I like the ADDIEMs the best, especially because I have a Touch.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 21
Just depends on what you want out of your IEM. I do like the NE-7 and the ADDIEM. My NE-7 gets more ear time though as it is my workout headphone. My IE8 gets almost the rest of my ear time.

ADDIEM has huge instrument separation, which honestly at times seems unnatural to me. But they are more detailed than the NE-7 and have a more 3D yet smaller headstage. When I get the ADDIEM placed just right in my ear, they do sound very good though. While I think the ADDIEM is a better value at $32, if I had to have just one, I would take the NE-7 as I prefer the sound signature (more bass). The E5 with bass boost on really helps the ADDIEM IMO though, and the combo would be about the same as the NE-7.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 21
I love my maximo imetal im-590s... $49 shipped I think from here: Maximo Imep-0590-01 : Ear Buds Ear Clips / Headphones / Portable Audio / Audio you can find a more comprehensive review if you search the forum but in summary it's a detailed but balanced iem with average isolation and good comfort. The bass is not that strong but improves with an amp and/or eq... but I find that it doesn't sound that good with the bass boost on my E5; in that case the bass kind of leaks into the midrange. Still, for $49 it's a great deal and there are a lot of accessories that I will admittedly probably never use but are nice to have nonetheless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back