What are the best under 700 dollar speakers for me?
Feb 23, 2005 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMuffinMan_01

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to get them in toronto for sure. I was looking at the Energy C5's, can anyone recomend anything better? They will be run from a sony ce775 (which i may mod at some time) and a panasonic SA-XR50. what would be the best sounding set for me? I wouldn't mind buying from bay bloor audio but they are overpriced. if you know of anything i can buy from www.canadiansound.com (from the retail store they have) than that would be awesome. thanks peoples. im looking for clarity, warmth, smoothness, and speakers that really involve you in the music. thanks!

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Check this site out www.canuckaudiomart.ca

You'll find some great deals in the speakers section. For your budget, I recommend the Axiom m3ti/m22ti bookshelf or m40ti floor stander. These speakers have the sound signature of the CD3000, but with the impact and power that speakers offer.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 12
im definately thinking about that m40ti... when i hear layed back though, i want to think its a good thing... but then i think of my hd580s
plainface.gif

i hated those
frown.gif
but i'll look into it, and maybe take the plunge. no opinions on the c5's? how about paradigm eclipses?

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Lots of people here have the Von Schweirt VR-1's which can be had for around $500 used. You may also be able to find a used pair of dynaudio 42's or 52's within your budget. I've also heard good things about the B&W CDM 1NT's though I think they've recently been replaced with a newer model. With the above speakers you're going to eventually want to add a sub.

You're from Canada so you might want to check out some of the fine canadian makers such as Totem and Paradigm.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01
im definately thinking about that m40ti... when i hear layed back though, i want to think its a good thing... but then i think of my hd580s
plainface.gif

i hated those
frown.gif
but i'll look into it, and maybe take the plunge. no opinions on the c5's? how about paradigm eclipses?

I now own the M40ti, and have owned the the M60ti and M3ti as well as the some high-end Paradigms (Reference Studio 100v2). The M40ti is basically the M3ti with much better bass. Sound quality wise, the M40ti is pretty close to the Paradigm 100v2. If you want to come over to audition the M40ti, shoot me a PM.

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 12
I wouldn't recommend C5s with the panny without some tweaking. That's the combo that I have. The panny is 'funny' with some speakers, you have to get the combo right. Stock it sounds too trebley and fatiging to me. I've done freq response measurements (I have a decent mic and a/d box) and it measures flat from about 35hz right up to 33k. No weird distortion (ie, it's within spec) to speak of. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

However I run computer as a source so I did a little DRC and it really smoothed out the treble, while retaining the panny signature 'reveiling' hyper-detail. In the end, I am happy with the combo.

Energy C5s are excellent speakers for the money IMO. I bought the panny with the thought that I'll probably replace it in the future.

Without DRC I don't think that the panny + C5s is something that I couldn't live with, at least for 2-channel.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
Lots of people here have the Von Schweirt VR-1's which can be had for around $500 used. You may also be able to find a used pair of dynaudio 42's or 52's within your budget. I've also heard good things about the B&W CDM 1NT's though I think they've recently been replaced with a newer model. With the above speakers you're going to eventually want to add a sub.

You're from Canada so you might want to check out some of the fine canadian makers such as Totem and Paradigm.

If your going Canadian go Energy. I have the C-8's from 10 years ago and they kick ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back