What are the best un-amped headphones for under 250$ for Electronic music, more specifically house and melodic? (I'm producing)
Jan 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flamess

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers! I am looking for the perfect headphones that qualify under these categories, though sorry for being so picky.
biggrin.gif

1. Amp not required
2. Sound best suited for house and electronic, so preferably more on the light, treble side. (I'll give a song example.)
3. Under 250$
4. Comfortable to wear for long periods of time and NOT fatiguing. I will be doing some studio work since I'm planning to produce house music, however these will also be headphones to listen to for fun, so I'll be happy with whatever works in these categories
regular_smile .gif

Sorry for narrowing it so low, but I figured there are VERY smart people here that can help. This is exactly why I love Head-Fi, because of all the kind and friendly headphone gurus that can help you out. Thanks in advance  :)

Song example of the music I enjoy:
Note: I am not a bass-head, I love headphones with a fun, treble-oriented sound; though definitely NOT to the extent of them being harsh.
tongue.gif

Thanks, - Cody

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 10
  Thanks, looks great!
That gunmetal grey color is making me drool xD

They are quite stylish and just in your price range. They have a bright treble-orientated sound, I'll have to take your word that is what you're after because I don't listen to house or a lot of electronic myself. They also don't require an amp and they seem to be as comfortable as closed cans of that form factor get. The only things to keep in mind is that the detailed sound that lends itself well to producing is fatiguing to listen to for extended periods so keep that in mind as you also wanted a set for fun listening.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Investigate the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. They recently came down to your price range.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Tested your example song with AKG 550 mk2 directly from my phone via google play. Compared sound to amplified as well. I must say that these headphones worked well without amping. Bass&treble was almost same without amplification. I would recommend to test these headphones as well.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 10
The AKG K545 is definitely a solid contender in this price range. Lively treble, to the point some may find it sibilant but plenty of people (including myself) like it. It doesn't have a strong bass but it is very well extended.

Headphones are very subjective so asking which is the best pair of headphones is a bit silly.
tongue_smile.gif
There are a lot of great headphones in this price range. The best thing you can do is to go out and audition as many headphones as you can in your price range and if you aren't impressed by any of them come back and tell us what you liked and what you didn't like about them so we have a chance to steer you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back