what are the best quality records you've ever listened to?
Jul 8, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
Surely some CD are recordedand mastered at higher quality than others - and this makes for beautiful sound.

Can you remember what are the best records you've ever listened to in this respect?

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I told these cds in high regards:

Dave Matthews: Some Devil
Dave Matthews Band: Crash
Sarah Mclachlan: Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Keb Mo: Just like you
Guitarisma 2 (compilation of guitar/new age tracks...good stuff!)

There's more out there, run a searchj and you should get a pile of threads with a similar topic as yours. Out of all the cds i listed, try "Crash" first if you're into alternative rock.

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Holst--The Planets, Walter Susskind cond. the St. Louis SO.
It's on a MFSL SACD. The interpretation is top-drawer, but the SQ and the remaster really make this one shine.

Any of the releases from the recent (although increasingly distant) Boulez Mahler cycle. The SACD of the 4th is downright magnificent.

Gilbert Kaplan's SACD of the Mahler 2nd. It's the new score, which doesn't really matter, but the SQ is fantastic.

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
The best sounding disc I've heard is the Speaker's Corner reissue of Mercury Living Presence Chabrier's Espana on vinyl. I would put psmith's Boulez Mahler 3rd and Kaplan Mahler 2nd SACDs as close seconds to the Mercury.

For Jazz, probably the Analogue Productions SACD of Bill Evans' "Sunday at the Village Vanguard".

For Rock (tough because most rock albums are really compressed), maybe the 30th anniversary DSoTM vinyl reissue.

Other greats:

O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack on CD or SACD (except for cut one of course)
Manhattan Transfer Extensions on vinyl - the CD sucks!
Joe Jackson's Night and Day on vinyl - same here, the CD reissue was terrible.
Almost anything by Keith Jarrett on ECM.

...many more will come to mind, these are off the top.

Not to start another "what is best" discussion, but a lot depends on one's definition of "good sound". Some people really like compressed music, for example, because it carries more impact. Others go for a natural, you are there sound. There are many more criteria for sound quality.

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 8
James Galway plays Joaquin Rodrigo flute concerto. This is a fantastic concerto. Galway's brilliant sound and beautiful orchestra are just incredible good. I think this is the first few solo Galway record after off from Berlin Phil. Even this is the primary recording, but Galway seems already played many times. Also Japanese guitar player Kazuhito Yama****a plays Concierto de Aranjuez is super good, every detail you can count.

Jul 9, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 8
shpongle - nothing lasts
It creates one of the most airy, smooth, 3D, atmospheres I've ever heard from an electronica album, while keeping tons of extremly tight crisp sounds going on at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back