what are the best price/performance cans under 400$?
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hadok3n

New Head-Fier
please!!! all opinions on best price/performance cans under 400, specifically cans that need the least extra hi-fi equipment to get their full capability.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 23
any preference on the sound? more bass/details/comfort etc

and what kind of music do you listen to?

generally, the hd650 scales well with the hi-fi equipment

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 23
comfort is definitely a factor for me, i'll be wearing these headphones for hours upon hours. im looking for something with a good overall sound instead of excelling in specific areas. and ill be listening to all sorts of genres..

some favorite artists are aphex twin, radiohead, interpol, daft punk, animal collective, 65daysofstatic, digitalism, pink floyd, the flaming lips, the arcade fire

but again im looking for headphones that perform very well for their price and will sound great when i buy them, and sound great without a huge money sink into lots of other equipment to bring out their true sound

please any opinions appreciated

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 23
Ergo 2. £180 new. Almost unbeatable comfort, superb sound even unamped, and a fabulous all around performer.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 23
im deciding between senn hd650's, beyerdynamic dt 880 pro or 990 pro, or some grado's not sure x_x

and i cant find a decent place to get info about the ergo 2's LOLOL

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 23
Yeah you'll face a tricky path getting ahold of ergos unless you're in Europe. The Beyers are the best choice unamped as they have the very efficient 32ohm driver option available, making amping easier than it might otherwise be.

Another thing to consider, unless you want to use these headphones on the move is a set of electrostatics. You will be able to get ahold of a Stax 2020 basic system or Lambda & amp for $400 (£200) if you look about, although prices are rising on the used market. The Stax SR-001 mini system is also an option. Each of those stax options comes with its own amp and will demolish the likes of the DT880 or HD600. Of course, many would disagree.

Just pointing out another option available.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 23
do i smell Denon D2000? all around good sound with great comfort, and no need for a powerful amp at all!

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 23
dont get the pros, they are cheaper, based on the old design, and not as comfortable(more clamping force due to old headband), get 2005 edition, they sound better as well, more comfortable, i suggest dt 880/990 2005 edition.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should the often underrated ATH-AD900 be part of this conversation?

x2. I have a pair of these and love it. Besides this, I've only heard the HD650 in this price range. Didn't really like it

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing to consider, unless you want to use these headphones on the move is a set of electrostatics. You will be able to get ahold of a Stax 2020 basic system or Lambda & amp for $400 (£200) if you look about, although prices are rising on the used market. The Stax SR-001 mini system is also an option. Each of those stax options comes with its own amp and will demolish the likes of the DT880 or HD600. Of course, many would disagree.

I was thinking this as well after hearing people speak of Electrostatics being fast, accurate and great with electronica.

My suggestion would be Sennheiser HD 580's and an amp. As far as the amp you should get I am not sure, I use a C&C XO and love the combo but I am sure for the $250 you would have left people here could suggest a decent desktop or a portable from Ray Samuels or something. I know it's extra gear but the impression I get of most high end cans from this place you would probably get more out of a slightly lesser can with an amp as opposed to an unamped K701 or HD650.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do i smell Denon D2000? all around good sound with great comfort, and no need for a powerful amp at all!

X 2! There are lots of good moderately priced cans around, but I think that the D2000 may be the performance/value leader.

Honerable mentions to the HD580/600 and the K601

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 23
I prefer the Ergo2 from everything I've heard at this level so far. United Home Audio sells them in the US and are pretty easy to deal with. Unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive through UHA ($350 when I ordered mine) and they don't appear to much demand here so if you don't like them you're likely to lose more in resale than you might with 650/701/etc.

Ant

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Ergo2 from everything I've heard at this level so far. United Home Audio sells them in the US and are pretty easy to deal with. Unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive through UHA ($350 when I ordered mine) and they don't appear to much demand here so if you don't like them you're likely to lose more in resale than you might with 650/701/etc.

Ant

Check your exchange rates - that's not a bad price at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back