What are the best pads for the sr60s?
Jun 2, 2005 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
mine came with the comfies a few years back. Wonder what they come with today? do you get an option to get it with different pads?

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 9
I bought the sennheiser 414 pads, and modded with a hole in the middle. Works for me.

If you do a search, there have been LOTS of threads on this, and many pictures and even a video or two of the various pad options, so there's more than enough info if you can find it!

Stew

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Jun 2, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Nah, the whole thing with vwap was that he'd mod and dye them black for you, hence the $15 pricetag for a single pair.

But yeah, if you get the HD414 pads and punch a hole in them yourself (like I did), They'll still be yellow. Oddly enough, I think the yellow goes better on the SR-60, aesthetically speaking.

Anyway, compared to the stock comfies, I much prefer the vwap/modded HD414 pads for overall sound AND comfort. Haven't heard the flats, though I'd like to. Just kinda hesitant on spending almost half the price of the cans on pads for the thing, especially when my homebrew solution works so well.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Current pad discussion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 9
When I had my Sr-60s the comfies sounded fine. You really have to get used to whatever pad you use. Even comfies on my 225s can sound good. Way better bass than the bowls.

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 9
This will probably be a minority opinion, but I prefer the radio shack pads on the SR 60. The flats had a real mid-bass thump that seemed artificial. The bowls, too shrill of highs. The comfies tamed the highs but almost too much, muffling a lot of the information. The radio shack pads are much thinner and I felt tamed the highs while letting a lot of the music through - at about $3 it might be worth trying.

One other thing perhaps worth thinking about. The bowls I tried were the current ones (bought on the SR 125 a couple of months ago). As a few threads have mentioned, they are different than the older ones, which apparently came in a few variations. I only mention this because they sounded really different than the bowls on my much older SR 225, and felt significantly different to me. The bowls on the 225 were larger (my ears fit in the pads whereas the new bowls are smaller and rest on top) and the ones on the 225 are softer, not from more use but actually constructed from different materials. The new bowls seem to use the same material throughout, whereas the older ones clearly have two different foams, with different feels, sandwiched together. I used both sets of bowls and still prefered the radioshack pads, but because each set of bowls sounded different to me, some might prefer a specific type of bowl (I definately prefer the old bowls on the SR225).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back