What are the best lightweight & portable over-ear headphones?
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kranebrain

Head-Fier
I have a lot of over ear headphones, but most of them are quite large and heavy (what can I say, I have a type). The lightest & thinnest headphones I own are the Stella's.

I'd like to have a lightweight pair for 3 reasons: for the sake of it, for travel, and for my VR setup. Assuming there's no budget, what is the absolute best over-ear portable (or close to portable) headphones?

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 8
The Audio Technica ATH-R70X and Hyland Audio Jupiter One are both very light and comfortable, but neither have much clamp force, so they're fine for travel but I wouldn't ever like, try to run with them on. The R70X also needs a fairly stout amp to sound its best. They're also both open backs so not the best if you're in a noisy environment.

For a closed back... Yeah, I dunno.

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 8
my answer would depend on how much isolation you need when traveling. An open back headphone would of course not work on a plane or train.

For closed backs the audio technica wp900 are extremely comfortable and lightweight. Isolation is mediocre for a closed back, but of course much greater than any open back. For sound quality I preferred the emu teak, but it’s isolation is poor for a closed back.

Another question I would ask is what is your portable source? There are some excellent modded planar fostex such as the alpha prime or mod house argon, but they won’t be running off a phone.

My number one recommendation for portable quality sound? Iems.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Yea if you're open to IEMs I'd say that'd be the best play. Especially for travel and VR use cases since in both instances isolation and small form-factor are key. I personally use Etymotic ER2XR for travel due to incredible isolation and Thieaudio Monarch for VR since I have them around for music and their imaging is better than the ER2XR.

If it has to be strictly over-ear headphones though maybe try Shure SRH1540. From what I remember they're pretty light and also closed-back for isolation.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 8
I like my Beoplay H6s and Momentums, but if there is one candidate that deserves the status of best portable (of the ones I own and heard) it would be the Sivga SV021s.
There truly sound very good, are small, are very comfortable, but they need a different, smalls cable for portable use.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Ultrasone Edition M. An on-ears headphone but one of the best portable headphones on the market, imo. Classy looks, premium earpads, well balanced, detailed/analytical sound signature. Thank me later :wink::thumbsup:

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 8
No budget?

Abyss Diana v2/Diana Phi, small and lightweight, even comes with a carrying case :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back