What are the best Jacqueline Du Pre performances?
Jul 22, 2003 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
Who's a fan of teh Cellist, Jacqueling DuPre? What are you favorite works. She has such a huge number of works I woudln't really like to sit down and listen to all of them trying to find the best. My vote is for teh Elgar cello concerto, but I'm pretty limited in my knowledge of her pieces. Help?

Jul 23, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 13
The Dvorak / Haydn concertos with her hubby, Barenboim, conducting is a must-have disc of JdP.

The Elgar, which you already have, is the definative performance.

Some of her hagiographers would have you get her entire opus, but if you have those two discs, you have her best.

Jul 24, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 13
I agree with Odi_et_Amo. Those two stood out as the best of her recordings.

I love the Dvorak and Haydn disc, her performance on both of those works on that disc are outstanding. Her disc on the Elgar Cello Concerto ( also has Janet Baker's vocals on "Sea Pictures" ) is absolutely enjoyable.

Cheers,
W

Jul 24, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 13
I haven't got the Elgar, but the Haydn is amazing... I don't know if I prefer it to Rostropovich's version, but both versions are truly great, and Haydn's cello concertos are very appealing pieces of music. I'm sure that you'll like them!

(The Haydn cello concertos are perhaps the music that I've listened to the most during the last month, I couldn't live without them.)

Jul 27, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Her two disc set from EMI is a nice survey of her work: A Lasting Inspiration / Jacqueline Du Pré.

I think there's a Volume II out as well, but I haven't heard it.

Jul 27, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 13
There is a 2-disc set containing Brahms' Cello Sonata 1 & 2, Chopin's Cello Sonata in G, and Frank's Cello Sonata in A
re-released on EMI CD with ART processing/remastering.
She performed with Barenboim playing the piano.

I like it, although for the Brahms' Cello Sonata I prefer Rostropovich/Serkin.

Enjoy,
W

Aug 1, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 13
My sister claims that the onlything Jaqueline plays really well is the elgar. My sister plays the cello by the way, I think shes better than jaqueline, but thats just me, Im a proud brother.

Aug 2, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 13
I still find it strange how Du Pre and Rostoprovich are mentioned frequently whenever cello is discussed on this board and Gregor Piatigorsky, a very fine cellist, was hardly ever mentioned. I think his artistry deserves much attention.

Aug 2, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Max,
educate me, tell me about Piatigorsky. What makes him stand out? how does he compare to du Pre?

Personally I'm moved by her story and the emotion that I believe seeps from her performances. Elgars cello works are deeply disturbing, and I believe that du Pre emotes a quite a bit of the Elgar saddness in the EMI performance.

Elgar wrote in 1918 "Everything good & nice & clean & fresh & sweet is far away - never to return."

Bill

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I still find it strange how Du Pre and Rostoprovich are mentioned frequently whenever cello is discussed on this board and Gregor Piatigorsky, a very fine cellist, was hardly ever mentioned. I think his artistry deserves much attention.

Why not start a thread on him then. Let us know about him and his music.

Quote:

Personally I'm moved by her story ...

I hope this is not too off topic, but I'd like to mention the movie "Hilary and Jackie", which to me, revealed a side of Jacqueling Du Pre that I didn't know about.

Quote:

Anyone listened to her Elgar with Barenboim (CBS)?

I'm interested in finding out how it compares with the famous EMI recording.

No response yet, looks like no one has listened to the CBS version huh?
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Perhaps this is a bit off-topic... still, I wonder what you like the most about Du Pré's performances... I like the passionate way of playing, but at times other cellists play with greater precision. Not that it mattes, though... Du Pré was undoubtley a very fine cellist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back