what are the best in-ear earphones on ther world?
May 14, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 44
If you're going customs, I don't see any reason to go Sensaphonics- ACS is way on top of the game, with the same basic product but refined. Better highs (from root's impressions), and now a better clear cord that doesn't have a greening problem. IMHO, from what I've read, when you get to the ACS/UE level, it's all about personal preference- they're different flavors, not different quality levels.

That said, its looking like the Shure e500s are slightly below, at, or slightly above the level of the aforementioned customs, depending on who you read. If you don't need the absolute stealth that a professional musician would need on stage, I would think the best option would be to go with these and then with some Westone custom sleeves, which are only ~$100. This setup nets $500-600, rather than $750-1000. You may lose a tad of sound quality, comfort, and slickness, but this tiny bit is offset by the ability to sell due to changing preferences, new products, etc, and the ability to easily change molds if necessary. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I see it, and that's how I'm going to end up going.

Edit: re Sensa and previous posts that snuck their way in- I've found ACS, in just the general info-gathering stages before sale, to have top-notch customer service. They also have a longer warranty period than Sensaphonics. This seems to clear any issues if you want this house sound, eliminating any quantitative advantage UE may have and bringing it all down to what sound and appearance you want.

May 14, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 44
I'm currently interested in the E500, Triple X, ES2, and UE10. I haven't really seen any comparisons of the ES2 vs. the UE10, though, and the only info I've really seen on the Triple X is a similar FR to UE10 with a 1-2db boost somewhere in the bass.

Do the custom westone sleeves change the general sound of a universal IEM much?

May 14, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #34 of 44
The only impressions I've seen of the ES2 are catscratch's, and I really don't know how they'd compare to anything else. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that, I honestly haven't looked at them much.

From what little I remember in searches, some people said the custom sleeves changed sound for the better, some said it didn't affect it much, some said it might degrade sound because of changing how the sound tubes sit in the ear. I got the impression (pardon the pun) that they're for improved comfort rather than sound. They also mean that you don't have to keep buying foamies/triflanges/complys, so I suppose they save money in the long run.

May 14, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto
They're not $1100 but the Stax SR-001 sounds pretty good to me.[/url]

Not sure if that was pointed at me, but I have the SRS-005a...the non-portable version of the SR-001. I agree, it does sound pretty good ;D

mateo05: Yeah, I assumed it was done more out of comfort and practicality. I just figured it had to have some effect on the sound due to different tube lengths or the like. Thanks.

May 14, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #36 of 44
Thats what Im hoping its like. I just want to reiterate that those are the impressions Ive gathered from searches, and that I havent found a really bad impression with custom sleeves on a universal IEM, but that I havent searched through everything.

May 14, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #37 of 44
In the last meeting I heard mainly all of the IE monitors that were there available, and honestly IMO the Etys still rule, the rest, two drivers, single driver, etc...do not offer the presentation the Etys got...completelly natural to me, very detailed, the bass was deep, and I was really surprised with the quality of those tiny objects...of course meetings are noisy, you need time to adjust to the feel and get the proper seal etc...but non of the rest, shure, westone, etc....sounded like the etys to me...maybe I get a better seal with those...

May 14, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
This makes me really glad I decided to go UE when I went custom. I haven't had the issues you have had so I can't really comment on having similar problems, but I have seen them support their products time and time again. One such occasion happened recently when they replaced the metal SF5P case and accessories for a friend of mine when he lost them while on a flight. No questions asked, replacements were on their way the following day after I mentioned it to Mike.

The only other company I've ever seen treat their customers this well is Shure which is why I'll be a life long customer of both companies.

To the O.P.: Your taste will determine which are the best IEMs for you, but some of the top contenders are: UE-10 Pro, Westone ES2/ES3, Sensaphonics 2xs, and the upcoming Shure E500 and UE Triple X (potentially; I haven't heard the Triple X yet). Other outstanding performers are the Shure E4 and E5, UE's Super.Fi 5 Pro, Westone's UM2, and Etymotics ER4 (I actually don't think the ER4 should be listed, but they have such a strong and faithful following that I'll represent them here simply because there are quite a number of people who think they should be here).

I believe Ultimate Ears and Sensaphonics have very different market strategies.
UE seems to care a lot about the audiophile market. They are developing a broad range of products to accomodate different tastes and various price points. They also made the effort to be present to the nat meet and their representative clearly said that the ipod and audiophile market are their main focus. From what I have heard they give excellent support to their customers.
It is interesting that the UE10 apparently includes a filter in order to protect the buyer investment from wax accumulation.

Sensaphonics caters for professional users in the music and broadcasting market and IMO consider headfiers and audiophiles as an annoying by product. Once they capture a buyer they aim to squeeze the maximum amount of revenue possible, including charging $600 for replacing the drivers in case of wax accumulation, a sort of yearly maintenance fee.

May 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 44
Good posts and info Vic.

There's a lot to be said for customer service and servicing issues.

(I remember you having issues with fixup.net but that's another topic)

That's why the Head-Fi forum is so important, so we can all share our experiences with different products and companies, the good and the bad, and all the stuff in the middle.

I must agree, Shure's service and warranty for U.S. (not sure of outside from what I've read previously) is fantastic.

I'm right around the corner from Ultimate Ears in Irvine, though I don't own any of their stuff, their pre-sale service has been exceptional, and they do value Head-Fi members very much. We're not just a "nuisance" to their business of supplying monitors to music professionals. Same can be said for Shure.

May 14, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
If you're going customs, I don't see any reason to go Sensaphonics- ACS is way on top of the game, with the same basic product but refined. Better highs (from root's impressions), and now a better clear cord that doesn't have a greening problem. IMHO, from what I've read, when you get to the ACS/UE level, it's all about personal preference- they're different flavors, not different quality levels.

That said, its looking like the Shure e500s are slightly below, at, or slightly above the level of the aforementioned customs, depending on who you read. If you don't need the absolute stealth that a professional musician would need on stage, I would think the best option would be to go with these and then with some Westone custom sleeves, which are only ~$100. This setup nets $500-600, rather than $750-1000. You may lose a tad of sound quality, comfort, and slickness, but this tiny bit is offset by the ability to sell due to changing preferences, new products, etc, and the ability to easily change molds if necessary. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I see it, and that's how I'm going to end up going.

Edit: re Sensa and previous posts that snuck their way in- I've found ACS, in just the general info-gathering stages before sale, to have top-notch customer service. They also have a longer warranty period than Sensaphonics. This seems to clear any issues if you want this house sound, eliminating any quantitative advantage UE may have and bringing it all down to what sound and appearance you want.

Yes, ACS are now even better than before (before I wrote the review) and they differ from Sensaphonics in almost every way now (audio and construction-wise). Currently BOTH drivers are better (the LF one is also replaced for a better one), the cord is better and the other improvements and refinements are in progress...

These are the best IEM's currently!

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #42 of 44
My personal belief, is that you dont have something you can claim to be the best product for everyone, cause each person has its own requierments.
I am on the market for a custom IM too, up to 1k in price, and I am reading whatever I can find on this forum cause is not possible to try them on.

Listening a lot on the go, using an i-pod 4G, I would put comfort, sound quality and discretion , the top 3 reasons I want to go custom and in this order of importance for me. Isolation is important too.
The idea of geting an universal fit for about $500 is not an option I consider when for few hundreds more can get cusom fit.

I was considering Sensaphonics but the warranty story is scarry, thanks for sharing, I dont wana have this kind of surprises in few months.
ACS is sold only in UK if I am not mistaken?
That leave for me to chose from only UE5c - UE10pro and Westone ES2 and ES3 unles new products hit the customs market in July-Aug.

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #43 of 44
Actually you can get ACS products from anywhere... I am in Australia and ordered from them by post (got impressions done locally and shipped them over). Only bummer is that currently their turnaround time is 6-7 weeks (if you look at their website front page). But it is a great product!

Check my sig for a quick review on them.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if that was pointed at me, but I have the SRS-005a...the non-portable version of the SR-001. I agree, it does sound pretty good ;D

mateo05: Yeah, I assumed it was done more out of comfort and practicality. I just figured it had to have some effect on the sound due to different tube lengths or the like. Thanks.

Hi there was going through the thread saw that you tried the stax005 so how does it compare with the top boys in the iem world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back