What are the best high-end over the ear headphones for Electronic music (Trance, Progressive) and Classical.
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
Sorry for the n00b post.  I've seen a few threads similar to mine, but my tastes vary a little from other users.

I've had the Shure se530's and 535's for 5 years now.  They've been amazing, truly stunning for electronic music, but I'm ready to upgrade to big boy headphones.  Looking for something around a grand (plus or minus 300).  I mainly listen to trance, progressive trance, progressive house and classical music (Matt Lange, Above & Beyond, Hybrid, Mahler, Digweed, Anjunabeats and anjunadeep).  I'm not looking for overwhelming bass.  If anything I have a lot more appreciation for the sub-bass.  That's not to say that I don't want true and representative bass.  Sound quality is the most important thing to me, portability and comfort are second.  It'd be nice to take them out of the house with me, but if I can't I'll always have my trusty shure's.  One last note, big sucker for euphoric and well produced vocals.  The shure's had a way about making good vocals just sparkle.  Would love to have a commensurate result from some over the ear's.

I've heard good things about Grado's, Audeze's and Ultrasone's.  Just not sure which would work for me.  I really appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks guys!

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 9
My Sennheiser HD650s work well with electronica, in particular Infected Mushroom and Shpongle.  Of the artists you listed, I'm actually not familiar with any of them.

Anywho, that's just my two cents, subscribing to this thread to see what others say....

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Budget?  Youre asking for excellent sub-bass in the summit-fi section  - I'm tempted to suggest the LCD-2s or the SR-009

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
I agree the HD650 work well with electronica. It can sound a little muffled at times though when the music gets too fast and complex. I would look into one of the planar magnetic headphones, they have great speed and bass reproduction. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 9
As a recent convert to Post-Rock, Prog, Ambient (Mogwai, Collapse Under the Empire, Brendan Perry etc.) I concur with El-Doug.  At the low end (financially) the HD-650, but much better with the LCD-2.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 9

You've described my own music preferences with eerie accuracy. "Numb" by Hybrid does a good job representing the qualities you describe, particularly the rapturous vocals. I'm very interested in what you ultimately choose, and what sort of amp/DAC combo you pair it with.

I recently purchased the Grado PS500 and some G-cush pads to go with them. I enjoy them thoroughly, but I don't think I'm qualified to really give you a useful comparison to others. If you have questions about them I can offer my experiences. I would appreciate an update down the line if you happen to remember.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

You've described my own music preferences with eerie accuracy. "Numb" by Hybrid does a good job representing the qualities you describe, particularly the rapturous vocals. I'm very interested in what you ultimately choose, and what sort of amp/DAC combo you pair it with.

I recently purchased the Grado PS500 and some G-cush pads to go with them. I enjoy them thoroughly, but I don't think I'm qualified to really give you a useful comparison to others. If you have questions about them I can offer my experiences. I would appreciate an update down the line if you happen to remember.

I don't have an amp yet.  I'm trying to get a rig together now Just need to find a pair over the ear cans first.  I'll need something that can work for the Shure's and whatever I get.  Dude it get's no better than Hybrid-Just for Today.  Hearing that stringy synth just soar with Kirsty's angelic vocals on a good pair of cans is simply indescribable.  Numb is a great example too.  Hope they do a little bit more instrumental on the next album but Dissapear Here was still amazing, Charlotte's voice is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back