What are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing electronic music???
Dec 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thetalkinghead

New Head-Fier
I produce techno, tech house, deep house, and a bit of progressive house. I have a well treated room and use event opals as my monitors. Unfortunately, i cannot be in my studio all the time and so I want a nice pair of headphones that I can mix on accurately. Also, it would be nice to have them to check any mixes on, period. I would consider closed or open back although I understand open are generally more accurate. I currently have a pair of sony 7506's that I find to be completely unsuitable as they are very bright and I find the bass to fall apart, etc. I also have a pair of dt770 pro's and I find them to be incredibly dark and quite bass heavy. Really nt a fan! I just want a pair of accurate, tight, clear cans that translate well. After doing some research the best options seem to be:

-AKG K701
-Sennheiser HD600

i've also considered the 650's but i hear their bass is hyped, ultrasone pro 750 but i hear mixed reviews, and the grado 325's but i think theyre too forward for my needs.

so what do you guys think between these two cans? any other suggestions? thanks for the help! glad to finally join your fine forum.

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 6
K-702 + Mogami W2534 recable.

Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio
Cable info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

About the Ultrasones and the rest, if you want you can use them as a playback hps, the question is what is your sound source for the hps?

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you have a budget?  The LCD-2's would probably be an excellent bet - they are in fact targeted for studio use!  

The 7506's are really only good for tracking, a use for which they excel over most other headphones.  Their sound signature actually makes it a lot easier to hear guitars and voices over other sounds, though any shred of accuracy or pleasantness is lost in the process

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Id say stick to pro audio, closed headphones not audiophile open headphones. Mabey, HD25, DT150, CD900st, DT48, K271, etc... Im not sure which is best for specifically mixing.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 6
K-702 + Mogami W2534 recable.

I would roll with Acix's suggestion for producing, not mixing-beatmatching 'cause they too big and open. There will be comments that akg k702 is lifeless and lacks in bass but that is not true at all, when I listen to Gui Boratto or Treantmoller, people who know how to make great sounding production, akg k702 has plenty of bass. Feed it with right source and they will shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back