What are the Best headphones under 150 dollars
Feb 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

FlobHobNob

100+ Head-Fier
 Hello, I'm sort of new to the audiophile world and I would like to start off with the best pair of headphones I can get under 150 US dollars. Im not sure if this helps but I listen lots of rock, alternative, and rap/hip hop. The  headphones I'm currently using are the grado sr60i and they just dont seem to have enough bass for my liking and I liked the sound of beats but i  have not  heard anything that are that good, but i've heard there are way better headphones that are cheaper. Any recommendations would help and a reason why you think those cans. Thank you

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm guessing you don't currently have a headphone amplifier, right?  I would recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780 if you want a moderate amount more bass, or the HFI-580 if you want a lot more bass.  You'll keep that bright and aggressive Grado sound, but with better sound quality, and more bass.  You'll trade off a bit of presence in the mid-range, but a lot of people find it worth it to have the powerful bass that hip-hop and such requires.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Hm... If you like the bass of the beats, Ultrasone HFI580/780s or Shure 750s are good. Also, if you want a more 'all rounding' sound, the M50s are pretty good, and from my short audition with them, i liked the KRK6400. All of these are much better than the beats. Also, which genres do you listen to the most?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 17
Yes listening through an ipod makes a difference, because many headphones with higher impedance or lower sensitivity will not be able to be driven properly by an ipod. The Shures would be my recommendation for those genres. If you don't mind bidding, i saw some on ebay that the bid was at $50 right now...
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURE-SRH750DJ-PROFESSIONAL-HEADPHONES-NEW-/370586259971?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item5648a99203#ht_500wt_1202)

Also, i would recommend getting something like the Fiio E5/E6 and a Fiio L9, which Amazon sells together for about $50 (http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8)

Enjoy man!

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Cool! Hope you enjoy them! (PS seriously consider the E6+L9 combo, it really makes a big difference!)
Again, enjoy your new headphones! 

Edit: Welcome to head-fi! Sorry about your wallet! ^^

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, you just know a year from now he'll be posting about his newly acquired, re-cabled LCD-3s from a public library, because he's been evicted due to spending all his rent money on gear. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
It Is logicall but i dont want  to have to pack 2 pairs of  headphones everytime  i go somewhere and switch my headphones for every song

No one headphone can do it all, doesn't matter how much you spend. Most dubstep is recorded for bass-heavy systems so you need a bass-heavy headphone, simple. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back