What are the best headphones to get for HipHop or EDM?
Apr 12, 2016 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GroudonStudios

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on the hunt for a new pair of headphones. My music ranges from pop to EDM (Proxmity, Suicide Sheep, etc.) As of right now I currently own headphones like the, Shure SE112, Beats Mixr, Beats Tour 2.0, and the Shure SE215.

In my opinion I find the Beats brand to not live up to their hype. I found both of the Beats products mention above to be simply average and even muffled at higher volumes. I love both of the Shure products that I stated above but I am looking for something better.

I want a pair of headphones that sound clear, with good mids, great highs, controlled bass (doesn't get muffled or distort other instruments/vocals at higher volumes.)

Right now I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M40x, Audio Technica ATH-50X, Sennheiser Momentum on ears, and the in ear model of the Sennheiser momentum's.

I am completely aware that the Audio Technica's are considered monitoring headphones but I believe they're excellent for music too. The problem is the M50's aren't very portable and the M40's deliver a more balanced sound. 

So can you guys recommend good headphones for listening to pop and EDM or possibly tell me your personal experiences with the headphones I am possibly looking to purchase?

Thank's guys!

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 12
I have the M50x and find it quite portable (or at least portable enough for me to use it on the train during my commute everyday.)

As long as you have a bag to keep it in when you aren't using it the rest of the day it should be fine and I can't really imagine them being any less portable than a pair of beats. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Id you're concerned with the portability of the m50 id definitely consider the momentum in ear, but be warned they are v-shaped in tonal balance. They isolate well and are very ergonomically friendly.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 12
For hip-hop, I would think a headphone with good amount of bottom end. I don't think the sennheisers would cut it for hiphop but that's just me. I would pick the Beats if I were you.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 12
  What are the best headphones to get for HipHop or EDM?

Best value for money, look up the likes of the Sony XB700 or Superlux HD660 if you can find them online.

On a less serious note, and if you have a lot more money to burn and want to get even better portability (the HD660/330 don't fold, no active noise cancelling, etc), get Beats - all the bass you want and can even come in colors to coordinate with any number of things, including ball teams and unintentionally, deserts.

That said if by commute you mean you might come across muggers (depending on where you live and what neighborhoods you move through) a plain black $50 Superlux would be the better choice.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 12
I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom Street. Their fit is kind of like the Beats Mixr. A tight DJ fit. Mentioning that just so you have an idea of what they will feel like on head.

As far as the sound goes, they have a good clear sound and a nice thump in the bass depending on what you have the Custom Sound Sliders set to. The midrange seems to have some frequencies notched out, but I think it's mostly just how Beyerdynamic tunes a lot of their closed cans and it's not a big deal. I think it's done very purposely to cut out any kind muddiness in the sound. The mids do warm up a tad after extended use/burn in. The overall sound quality is very nice especially for the price, $150 USD.

It's been a long time since I heard the Mixr, but the Custom Street certainly beat the hell out of the Solo 2. Much more clarity and still having a satisfying boom which I think you would like . I primarily listen to Hip Hop which is mixed similar to EDM and have the Audio Technica M50 as well. I can't really say which one is better. They do have very different sound from each other. They each do certain things better than the other, but I find each of them equally satisfying for listening to music.

As I'm writing this though, I just really don't know if the CS, or even M50 for that matter, will really offer much better sound than the Mixr. The Mixr, IMO, is probably the best sounding Beats headphone. The headphones you are looking at pretty much seem like a side grade rather than an upgrade from what you currently have.

The issue with going the "monitoring" headphone route (models other than the M50) is that you compromise musicality for a more clinical sound in many cases.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 12
I have heard quite a bit in regards to the, 'Beyerdynamic' headphones. They seem to be an amazing pair of headphones but I decided to go with the Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

I found the Audio Technica's to sound phenomenal in all aspects with amazing clarity and a solid bass. The only problem I had with them is on 100% volume on my iPhone 6, didn't seem too loud. I asked a few other people in regards to this by having them test my pair and some agreed and others said, "NO, WAY TOO LOUD!"

Is it because I am used to  listening to my headphones too loud? Not sure. Also, is there way to amplify the volume? I realize there are EQ apps but I've recently been listening to music on YouTube Red which EQ apps don't support. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back