What are the best headphones for under £200 ($300)
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Volatil3

New Head-Fier
Hello my name is Jordan and I was wondering if any of you could give me a tip on what headphones I should buy for under £200, I am looking for sound quality and comfort, I will use these headphones mainly for making music on a DAW and sometime for recording. I will buy an AMP for them, probably a fiio one. I also don't want anything that will break.
I am debating between three headphones so far, it's hard to choose between them since all three are very credited and there are not many direct comparisons between them.
They are:

AKG K550
Sennheiser HD 558
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Thank you for your time.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Out of those 3, only the Beyerdynamic would be considered a professional headphone for music creation. The other two would never find themselves in studios.

I would add Beyer DT990 Pro to your list. It's open-back and has less bass than the Custom One, but has a slightly 'flatter' response and would be considered more accurate for music creation.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Ma900 or dt880. They're flatter can while the cop and dt990 are more bass heavy:

That's not the DT990 PRO though, which does sound quite balanced, similar to the DT880.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Hmmm leaning towards the dt 990 pros now, are you sure the k550s aren't that good? they are quite highly credited.
Otherwise, this may seem like a stupid question, but would a fiio E06 be able to power 250 ohms? If not, what is the cheapest amp I can buy for it?

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 10
If your first preference is not sound stage and the presentation of sound, I strongly advise RE-272 second hand. These are unbelivable... outclasses my HE-400s with the SLIGHTEST EQ (to add warmth, down the scratchiness in the mids because of hyper level of details and lastly to add a bit of sparkle to highs overall to make it musical) and they cost me 90 pounds?! I'm pretty sure my post will be ignored but to all that have the tendancy to think that the tiny, cute IEMs cannot sound good, it honestly is not true and they really do sound good even when compared to headphones.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd argue the K550's not being good for studio and monitoring. For their price, they are a fantastic choice, and my choice among the three you've listed.

The custom one pro is one of beyer's phones I would not use as a reference as they are bssier headphones.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back