What are the BEST HEADPHONES for DANCE/ELECTRONICA
Jul 1, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 95
Oh, you sure Thomas?

I have the KSC-50's, which, supposedly, if you squeeze them against your ears, gives you exactly the S/Portapro sound. I also have the SR-60's, and, even when listening to electronica, I prefer the SR-60's sound and amount of physical impact... And since the SR-80's bass is supposedly night and day better and stronger than the SR-60's, well.... see where I'm getting to?

And I was under the impression that the Denon AHD-950's had ALMOST the bass extension of the V6's...I mean, not quite, but almost, and that the Denon's had a more musical sounding bass and a more musical sounding high end...is that incorrect?

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #32 of 95
Paradigm! Does comfort matter to you?

Comfort no, I know that grado's are not the most comfortable, but sound comes first to me.

How about leaking sound or not?

Don't care, just as long as it sounds good and pumps some clean tight bass.

What is the price range you
wanna stick in?

For portable use, somewhere around $250 tops

And why do you have so little faith in your minidisk player?

Cause it's a portable device, I have noticed overtime that companys are not giving there portable player as much power as they used to.
Plus I like my phones to be power and load and clear.

BASS< BASS<BASS-clean refined bass, not that muddy crap

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 95
Well, lessee here....no boomy crap? That means no S/Portapros...

Hmm...oo, you're making it hard on us...I'm not sure how well 5 mW will power sr-80's/v6's/950's...I am almost completely sure it will power em well, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it. Uh, I'm at a loss here...any help, guys?

Hmmm...lessee here, I'm thinking maybe either get the SR-325's alone, or the SR-225's with an Airhead, or the SR-125's with the Total Airhead? A little help here? And maybe get the 1/4" to 1/8" Grado adapter, and maybe even the Radioshack pads, or the old flat doughnut pads (which gives more bass?) to increase the quantity of bass? Help?

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #34 of 95
paradigm, don't worry. I've used my SR80's with low powered MD players and granted, they didn't get loud but the sounded fine (and they didn't get much louder than they do on my Panasonic CD player). I am worried though because that particular MD is very quiet. Tell you what, why don't you buy the SR80's and an airhead amp? That'll give you all the power you'll ever need with the grados, in a nice small package.

By the way, I'm confused...You're always talking about bass, which gives me the impression that you want a lot of it, but you want a lot of tight bass. is that right? Becuase if it is, a lot of bass always equals muddy bass. that is the definition of muddy bass.

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:32 AM Post #35 of 95
grado alessandro music series II. it is similar to the grado sr-325. you can have them custom fit the phone with an 1/8" plug for portable use. if you don't find it bassy enough, then you try using the old flat doughnut pads. also you can give the etymotic er-4p a shot.

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #36 of 95
Yea, the Etymotic ER4P's might be perfect for you, but they don't have that much physical impact at first....but, after time listening to em, like the ER4S's, they can fool your brain into thinking that they have more impact than, well, anything else, including the V6's, the Denon's, and the Grado's....I mean, you will, with time, feel the bass in your TOES....and plus, they are REALLY efficient, and they block out sound, so they'll be GREAT for a minidisk player to drive...

Yea, those are my official reccomendations. In your budget to. Oh, and if you want to hasten you're brains acclimation to these phones, then GET CUSTOM EAR MOLDS...

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #37 of 95
So i guess the total airhead is the way to go, ANyhow thanks for the help guys, your amazing!!!!!!!

Quote:

I am worried though because that particular MD is very quiet.

So I have been told, Hope it's not true.

newAirhead.gif

Will this thing clean up my sound, will it distort it, or will it keep the same sound quality alive from my minidisci mini jack????

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #40 of 95
Paradigm, I just did a little test with my SR-325s and Sony minidisc player (5mW per channel). I don't have any dance/techno......I don't even know what the hell that is, and I don't think I want to), but I did put on some Neil Young and Van Morrison (two old guys). From what you've been saying, this is definitely NOT going to be loud or impactful enough for you. You need an amp. I plugged in my Total Airhead (my minidisc does not have a line-out either) and the sound was much louder and the bass had more impact. Personally, I think it would better through a separate line-out, but that obviously isn't an option.
Headroom offers a 30 trial period for its products. That seems the way to go.........or not..........just saw your posting on the Sony v6........those are what I use with the minidisc player. They get plenty loud on 5mw and the bass is excellent as well.
Confused yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:38 AM Post #41 of 95
Quote:

the Sony v6........those are what I use with the minidisc player. They get plenty loud on 5mw and the bass is excellent as well.
Confused yet?

Are we talking about some hard ass bass, you know BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, also how is the clarity???

Oh by the way toy must be a baby boomer, seeing how you don't know what DANCE/Techno is. I bet you have heard of this music, basically it electronic music, with lots of beats.

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:48 AM Post #42 of 95
Quote:

Are we talking about some hard ass bass, you know BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, also how is the clarity???

If you're looking for the kind of bass that I hear emanating from various vehicles as they drive by, I don't think ANY headphone on this planet will deliver. I honestly don't know what you're expecting from headphones........they are incapable of delivering the kind of bass you seem to be describing.

And yes, I'm a baby boomer which kinda explains why I don't have a clue about dance/techno. But you're right, I have heard it.........but I don't own any.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #43 of 95
I knew it! Paradigm, I don't think you really want tight bass, you do want boomy bass! That's why the airhead would be better for you, it's a bit heavier on the bass.

Jul 1, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #44 of 95
ALL YOUR BASE BELONG TO ME.

I CRAVE BASS, but I want quality bass that is powerful, tight, and has a great impact(maybe a little muddy) but at the same time I want clarity

Jul 1, 2001 at 3:03 AM Post #45 of 95
Quote:

I CRAVE BASS, but I want quality bass that is powerful, tight, and has a great impact(maybe a little muddy) but at the same time I want clarity

As I said in an earlier post, NO headphone on this planet can satisfy what I think you're describing.

And I don't know how you can have muddy bass with clarity..........

I noticed you are attempting to purchase Flumpus' V6s. For the money, they should give you nice, tight deep bass. If you get them, I'm anxious to see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back