What are the best genre master headphones?
Aug 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Alexnova

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for headphones that can handle all genres (hip hop, electronica, pop, rock, classical, R&B, soul, etc).

What's the best out there? If they require an amp can you suggest one as well? I'd say the budget for the headphones themselves under $1500 if possible and AMP/DAC wise about the same price.

If someone can recommend the cheapest and also the best at my price point I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 35
My friend with that budget your options are pretty open, but being on this website you should know full well that there's no such thing as best. So for others who've listened to a much broader range than me can also input options what are you looking for?

I.e.

In terms of sound do you like your music more warmer, brighter or perhaps complete reference (unbiased in its sound)?

As far as fit, do you prefer an in, on or over ear option?

lastly would you want the ability to listen to these portably or will they only be used at home?

For ME personally the best headphones I've ever heard that left me awe struck in whatever I was listening to was the Oppo PM-1 ($1099). I enjoy my music slightly warmer as to be nice and relaxing, perhaps not the most sonically accurate but gives me a nice sense of ease when listening providing a very sensual experience when you're just wanting to relax; but the neutrality of these was wondrously pleasant. These also sounded wonderful just from my phone but a good amp. could probably increase the sound even more (I've only a Project Horizon 3 so my recommendations are limited in that subject).

As far as I.E.M. the best I've heard is by far the Shure SE846 ($999) these have interchangeable filters for you to really customize the sound to whatever it is you like plus they're super comfortable and don't need an amp what so ever.

I'm currently listening to the Sennheiser HD700 ($749 but on sale currently for $519 via moon-audio.com) w/ Moon-Audio's Black Dragon Cable ($255). Honeslty for me these are alright but are somewhat bright with a notably recessed lower mid/upper bass line. Not that it's bad but for its price point not something I look for but the BD cable really warms it up a nice bit). The soundstage however is super vast and the comfort is awesome with really good detail whoring. These like the HD650 are complemented with good tube amp and can somewhat, kinda sorta be driven from a mobile unit but though you'll get ok volume you can just tell there's so much more potential available.

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 35
T1 or T1 2nd generation

GENRE MASTER: The T1 is one of those headphones that has speed. Because of this, the sound never feels cluttered. For this reason, I find that the T1's sound signature works well with just about any genre.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_T1

Best Luck!

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 35
I second the T1, I think it does all genres really well. As Me x3 aldready mentionen there's a new version of it being released very soon so you might want to wait a bit before deciding. I myself plan on buying the T1 (2. Generation) together with the Beyer A2 amp. I'm really looking forward to it.

That being said I'm sure there must be other headphones that does all genres well but I haven't personally heard them so I can't talk about it.  

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 35
Well what do you mean by not laid back? How many other headphones have you tried?

It's a dynamic and engaging headphone that reproduces the energy in music instead of sounding boring and overly smooth. Read my profile to see headphones I own and used to own. I have also heard a handful of the four figure flagship headphones.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 35
It's a dynamic and engaging headphone that reproduces the energy in music instead of sounding boring and overly smooth. Read my profile to see headphones I own and used to own. I have also heard a handful of the four figure flagship headphones.

Your description of those cans are exactly what I am looking for. I really want something engaging.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 35
Thank you. Alright I'll get the Yamahas.

I have a regular Magni 2 (non-uber) and Modi 2 (non-uber) on the way, thoughts on this potential combo?

I owned a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. (The Fulla was later.) It should sound good, but you should compare how the MT220 sounds from the Schiit stack and directly from your computer's headphone jacks. Depending on your system, you may or may not hear a difference. (Many computers don't have very good onboard audio, but mine does.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back