What are the best closed ORTHOdynamic headphones? Price no limit.
Feb 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 21
The pair I heard in the loaner program were incredibly balanced.  The great thing about orthos is they're pretty easy to modify.  Bringing up the treble is easy.  I need to caveat my comments with the fact that I'm 51.  I have normal hearing for a 51 year old, but that means I don't hear the upper end as well as younger people. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 21
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants/750#post_6965778

I saw this post here comparing the AD2000 to the Thunderpants. It seems the TP trumped the AD2000 in everything other than treble extension. However, I felt the W11R trumped the AD2000 in everything and especially in treble extension...

He said the AD2000 are faster headphones. Now do the Thunderpants sound slower because of the closed resonance??? I had the idea that orthos are very fast headphones.

If or when I get the Thunderpants, I think I'd have a lot of fun.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 21
orthos are faster than dynamics.. im pretty sure thats like a thing..ya know, like cows cant go down stairs...
wink_face.gif
...its like a fun fact.  i did not find thunderpants to have any speed issues.  even on very fast or demanding heavy metal or classical tracks.

the one "flaw" if you want to call it that in thunderpants.. and bear in mind this is a subjective flaw depending on how you feel about this sort of thing.. is that IMO they really  do best with an EQ.  of course i would say that about nearly all headphones.. well every pair ive ever heard anyway. 
they have a bit of mid range resonance .. or at least last time i checke that was a universally accepted experience..who knows, maybe smeggy has cured it.....but it is easily removed by pulling some of it out with an eq. 
othwerwise they are exceptionally balanced in their frequency response.

ive never heard anyone complain about the highs lows or mids lacking in thunderpants.. in fact you dont hear many complaints about them at all..  they fall more into the category of "so good it really comes down to whether you prefer their sound signature or not" 
of course dont take my word for it. read more opinions or take the plunge..

one good thing about them is if you find you dont like them.. you are almost guarenteed to sell them the day you put them on the board.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 21
I am considering the Thunderpants as well. I have the T50RPs, and they can be mesmerizing. The piano sounds like a piano, male and female vocals are lifelike and full of emotion, the bass can pound with some OK amping, and they are fast. This is without decent amping and just basic damping. I really don't see how anyone could not be impressed by the Thunderpants, based on what I hear from the T50RP.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #20 of 21
The only 3 closed HPs I've ever liked are the R10/TPs/Stax 4070.  The R10 is significantly better than those two IMO.  The TPs and 4070 both kind of lack air (like the LCD2s) which takes out the sound of the room and makes every recording sound super intimate.  Some people love this but it bugs me personally.  Still great headphones though.  If you are able to go to the Norcal meet let me know, and I will bring all 3 for you to listen to and make up your own mind.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
The only 3 closed HPs I've ever liked are the R10/TPs/Stax 4070.  The R10 is significantly better than those two IMO.  The TPs and 4070 both kind of lack air (like the LCD2s) which takes out the sound of the room and makes every recording sound super intimate.  Some people love this but it bugs me personally.  Still great headphones though.  If you are able to go to the Norcal meet let me know, and I will bring all 3 for you to listen to and make up your own mind.

HOLY MOLY would you be able to bring the Stax Omega 2 too?
biggrin.gif
Recently, the Omega 2's been looking mighty interesting to me too XD  Now I'm really thinking about going. Time to get on the books. I will bring my equipment as well if I manage to study enough.

I don't have a lot of equipment but I have the Audio Technica W11R, Woo Audio 6SE w/ EML 5U4G, and Anedio D1 that I could bring along. I'm still burning in the tube though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back