what are the BEST closed Cans from sennheiser?
Jan 30, 2005 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Cmoyamphelp

Head-Fier
okay what are the best i can buy for about 250 CDN and i listen too Rap/hard rock metal and soft rock
Right now i have sennheiser HD500's and we all not closed at all

And they will be for use on the go with a Iriver ifp-180t and amped and non-amped

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 22
HD25-1 without a doubt, even better with an OFC cable...... but there are other headphone manufacturers out there you know
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I don't think Sennheiser make any particularly good closed cans. Audio-Technica on the other hand make some great ones. Browse thru them at http://audiocubes.com

For the price point, Senn HD25-1s beat anything from AT like a red-headed stepchild (for all of you RHS kids out there- it's just a saying...
icon10.gif
)

Having owned, at one time or another, most of the AT closed line, AT makes some great closed cans, no doubt... from the ATH-W100 to the L3000s, they get it done... although nothing AT makes comes close to my * balanced * R10s, IMO... but for the kind of music and the budget... Senn HD25-1s rock. Literally.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
For the price point, Senn HD25-1s beat anything from AT like a red-headed stepchild (for all of you RHS kids out there- it's just a saying...
icon10.gif
)

Having owned, at one time or another, most of the AT closed line, AT makes some great closed cans, no doubt... from the ATH-W100 to the L3000s, they get it done... although nothing AT makes comes close to my * balanced * R10s, IMO... but for the kind of music and the budget... Senn HD25-1s rock. Literally.
icon10.gif

That sounds very promising. I just ordered a pair of A900 from bluetin yesterday and can't wait to compare them to the HD 25-1.

Cmoyamphelp, for good portable sound on the go, you can hardly go wrong with the HD 25-1. I find them to be very pleasing for hiphop and rock but there are many other closed headphone manufacturers to choose from (Sony, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, AKG, Ultrasone).

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 22
Sennheisers don't make particularly good closed headphones, in my experience. I'm not fond of the HD25-1/HD25SP if you don't intend to use them portably...there are much better home headphones to be had in the same price range, especially if you crave a soundstage or high-end.

I would look into AKG271/AKG240 or Audio Technica ATH-A900/ATH-A500.

Do you intend on running these things amped? What kind of source will you be running them from?

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Sennheisers don't make particularly good closed headphones, in my experience. I'm not fond of the HD25-1/HD25SP if you don't intend to use them portably...there are much better home headphones to be had in the same price range, especially if you crave a soundstage or high-end.

I thought the purpose of being closed is that you could use them portably or am I wrong in thinking that? I once heard the HD 25-1 and it didn't sound very big, mabye that's the soundstage but I thought the treble was very good and not lacking at all. Sorry, I'm rather new to headphones.

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 22
well the reseason for sennheisers are 1 i can get them localy and too where can i get these other names (i have access to futear shop,A&B sound and a sony store)

I do entend to run a cmoy amp and also run it allown with my iriver ifp-180t

I do however do like the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 if i could only find some place within canada too order from (bad experance paying brokeage)

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoyamphelp
well the reseason for sennheisers are 1 i can get them localy and too where can i get these other names (i have access to futear shop,A&B sound and a sony store)

I do entend to run a cmoy amp and also run it allown with my iriver ifp-180t

Well, I assumed you wanted best portable closed cans; I guess I just saw 'Senn' and 'closed' and thought 'HD25-1s'... which I prefer to the (far less useful in portable applications) Senn 280s anyway.

A900s I wouldn't buy used (they are more fragile than the HD25-1s, with a few well-known structural weak points); you can get 'em new from Audiocubes for under 2 bills. If you use them in a portable rig, you'll be put in a straightjacket...
icon10.gif

The Senns are around $160-$170.00.00 USD, last time I checked. Between the A900s and the HD25-1s, I still prefer the Senns (amped or unamped- although they actually * improve * with amping, which the A900s do not); tight, extended bass, solid mids and smooth, strong highs. BUT, if you can audition or even A/B the Senn HD25-1s (their smaller soundstage works to their advantage with your kinds of music), and the ATs, so much the better. If you can't, I'd spring for the locally available Senns and be very happy with the best closed portable cans around, and my favorite closed cans, of any type, for anywhere under $500.00. If you wanted 'open' cans, I'd say SR225s and never look back, though...
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoyamphelp
ya i couldn't find the 'HD25-1s' on senns website i would how ever like too find some specs on them

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020080026

The Ety 6i's aren't even in the same league as the Senns. The HD25-1, BTW, is the only HD25 to get... the Senn HD25-SPs are NOT the HD25 Senns to which most folks refer when they talk about 'great sounding closed cans suitable for portable use'...

ANY Ety product, from ER6is to the ER4Ps and the ER4s, (I own all 3), won't provide the quality of listen, with your kind of music, that the Senn HD25-1s will, IMO.

And, again, forget portable ATs, or even relatively unbreakable ATs... they're OK, IMO, but there are better 'home' cans out there, both closed and open, particularly open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back