What are the best cheap earphones for use with an ipod?
Aug 31, 2003 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

henrys_cat

New Head-Fier
Thanks for all the replies, a couple of details to clarify:

Must be earbuds, I have a need for headphones that fit beneath my hat

Music is mainly electronic stuff (Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Richard Devine etc etc), but some classical (mostly modern composers) and jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock and John Zorn)

I like to have a well defined sound that is clear and detailed, bass is nice but I'd sacrifice bass power for better quality sound.

I'd love to get the Shure E2C's but I think my budget is quite stretched as it is...

Are the Sony EX71's really bad?

I suspect that I will get the MX-400's, but wishing all along that I had the Shure's...

Thanks for the advice peeps

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Is £50 = about $79.00 USD? I would recommend the Koss KSC-35s. I now use my ER-4S with my D-5 and META42, and my 35s with my iPod. Great sound, comfortable. They are still available from Koss online: $29.99 + $6.00 s/h = $35.99.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 9
I am about to purchase an Ipod and, having heard that the bundled earphones are somewhat lacklustre, want to purchase a new pair to use with it.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD-200s (incedentally can the Ipod drive these?) that I use with my elderly CD player when out an about, but I would like to get some earbuds for more portability, thus an amp is also not desirable.

I listen to a wide range of music, from experimental electronica to classical to jazz, so all round audio performance is desireable, but I don't want to spend more than £50, otherwise it would be the Etymotics.

Essentially: What are the best sub £50 earbud / in ear / canal earphones for use with an Ipod?

Thanks for any help

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Pretty sure he's just looking for earbuds or canal phones...not sure about clip-ons. Not a bad recommendation if he does want those, though.

I'll back up the Senn MX400 recommendations (fyi, the 500s are just the 400s with a built-in volume control)...if you're lucky you may be able to find a used pair of Shure E2Cs for the absolute max price you're willing to spend, which are canal phones of sorts.

I really think the MX400s will be sufficient though.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Does it REALLY have to be earbuds??

The MX400 and MX500 pale in comparison to the PX100s... they do sound genuinly good, whereas in comparison the MXs sound just mediocre...

btw... what is your favourite music genré, and tonal balance??

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm not saying the MX500 is bad, it isn't but something like the Sennheiser PX100 will do your iPod more justice. They're typically £30-£40. They're tiny little headphones and quite portable.

The Sony in ear phones are not quite there in my opinion and need more work. The Shure E2C is a good choice but you will probably find it difficult to locate a used one in the UK and price new is approaching £80-90.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 9
If you can get a good fit, The MX 400's or 500's would be an excellent choice.

Reason I put it that way is that I own a pair of 500's, and I get almost no bass or bottom end with them because I find them to be large for my ears, so I don't get quite a good fit with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back