What are the best Cans (sub $150) for mowing the lawn?
Jun 24, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 17
I use shure, it blocks mower noise allowing for lower listening levels, and they are light, and they stay in your ears even when doing the hedges.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Sennheiser HD 25-I II (used will be in your price range) if you don't want to do IEMs. They block noise better than any other closed headphone I have tried. I use them for all my lawn work and they are wonderful (you can also adjust the headband so that it wouldn't come off in a hurricane).

I haven't tried the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II but I would guess they would also do a good job isolating (while having the cheaper pricetag of their older brother) but would not have the SQ of the HD 25-I. The HD-SP II does not have the split headband.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillerdu44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for any help!!

I suggest you don't use headphones when cutting the lawn because you would need to have the volume turned up too loud to cover the sound of your lawn mower's motor and this could be bad for your hearing.
Actually, the only way I would advocate that someone wear headphones while they are cutting the grass is IF they have a specific type of "grass cutter". And that specific type of "grass cutter" is a GOAT!
Goats, are generally quiet except for an occasional "B-aa-aa-aa" so you wouldn't need to have the volume on your headphones turned up too high to cover the sound.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the only way I would advocate that someone wear headphones while they are cutting the grass is IF they have a specific type of "grass cutter". And that specific type of "grass cutter" is a GOAT!
Goats, are generally quiet except for an occasional "B-aa-aa-aa" so you wouldn't need to have the volume on your headphones turned up too high to cover the sound.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

lol!

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
prob UM1.

By itself the UM1 only blocks about 20dB which isn't enough for mowing the lawn. It's barely enough for my mass transit commute. I use my UM1 and 30dB ear muffs. I can barely hear the lawn mower. It's great. Almost everyone in my neighborhood uses ear muffs when mowing, so here it's not even geeky looking.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By itself the UM1 only blocks about 20dB which isn't enough for mowing the lawn. It's barely enough for my mass transit commute. I use my UM1 and 30dB ear muffs. I can barely hear the lawn mower. It's great. Almost everyone in my neighborhood uses ear muffs when mowing, so here it's not even geeky looking.
biggrin.gif

Good to know. I was thinking highly regarded IEMs in that price range. I know that the Shure Olive tips block quite a bit, Ive had several pair of SE series Shures for outdoor stuff. So, in that case how bout a SE210?

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know. I was thinking highly regarded IEMs in that price range. I know that the Shure Olive tips block quite a bit, Ive had several pair of SE series Shures for outdoor stuff. So, in that case how bout a SE210?

If the SE210 is the equivalent of the E3c, which I think it is, it will isolate better than the UM1. I use large black olives with my UM1. The problem is that they just fit in the outer part of my ear canal. Basically, the farther into you ear that the IEM goes, the better it isolates.

I'd personally use the ear muffs no matter what IEM I use. You can't have too much hearing protection

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 17
Use to use UM1s with the long comply tips with a gas rotary mower. I was able to keep the volume where I normally listen and still hear the song but the mower noise did drown out softer passages. Nowadays I use Koss KSC-75s and a reel mower with not much problem at all.
biggrin.gif

Ant

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Getting a new modern Silent Lawn Mower will cost u much much less than a great pair of Noise Cancelling headphones.

biggrin.gif

but ya...where's the fun then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back