What are the best 9v rechargable batteries?
Sep 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JayJayz

100+ Head-Fier
ive got a PINT and accidentally left it on overnight with some newly purchased batteries, it is already dead which is telling me i better invest in some rechargeables.

What ones are the best, last longest? 9 volts.

cheers, JJZ.

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayz
ive got a PINT and accidentally left it on overnight with some newly purchased batteries, it is already dead which is telling me i better invest in some rechargeables.

What ones are the best, last longest? 9 volts.

cheers, JJZ.

Lithium Polymer rechargeables, if they fit.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Li-Poly's can be extremely dangerous under certain conditions - one of which is paralleling a couple of cells together. My personal opinion is that they should never be recommended for DIY amps.

Thomas Distributing has some outstanding NiMH 9V batteries - Accupower, MAHA, etc. - although the prices are not really that good.

E-bay has a good selection with regular e-bay sellers. I use 2x9V in a couple of PIMETA's with 250mah 9V's I bought from this guy:
theshorelinemarket
He has several options for pairs of batteries and one with a pair and a cheap plug-in charger. These have worked great for me, but there are other sellers, too.

There are enough good buys for 250mah that I would not purchase a 9V with a smaller a-h rating. Note that typical EverReady/Ray-o-Vac 9V re-chargeables in Walmart, etc., are only 160mah and cost upwards of $8 ea, a very poor choice.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 7
I recommend the AccuPower 6F22 (270mAh NiMH).
Excellent battery which can be picked up for under $8

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 7
I have 2 500mA Li-Polymer batteries in my DIY amp. Works just fine. Built my own charger unit and batteries charge in about 12 hours. The best advice they give in school is to charge at 1/10 of the full capacity of the battery per hour. My dad as an electrical engineer comfirms this.

I used to have 9V NiMH batteries w/ 175mA, but they lasted less than 3 hours. Now I get up to 12 hours.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Li-Ion batteries have internal resistors to prevent spontaneous combustion
NiMHs do not

NiMHs, therefore, are better current sources.
That translates to: they sound better.

But I use both. 2 MiMHs in my SR-71,
1 NiMH and 1 LiIon in my MicroDAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back