What Are The Audiophile Periodicals?
Jan 25, 2005 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
Preferably U.S. printed/offered material. What are the best ones, the most popular ones, and what ones have a good issue this month (March 2005, since I guess it's close enough to Feburary)? Also, are all of them common enough to pick up at a newstand, or will I have to search? Anyone of them worth subscribing too? How much discussion is their on headphones/headphone reviews?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Probably the most common in the U.S. are Stereophile and The Absolute Sound (TAS). Both can be found at Barnes and Noble. Don't pay newstand price for either. (at least not more than once.) Stereophile subscriptions are around $12 for a year. Even though the content is spotty, you still cant beat $1 an issue.

I like TAS better than Stereophile, but it is published bi- monthly and it is more expensive to subscribe (I think its around $25-30 year?).

I find UHF (Ultra High Fidelity) refreshing but it is Canadian. Published bi-monthly like TAS and I think my subscription was around $40-50.

Stereophile does headphone stuff once in a while. i think the current issue has a Headroom amp review in it.

I'd start w/ Stereophile. For the price you cant beat it. And when an issue is lame (often) you dont feel so bad. Audiophile magazines sure arent like they were a few years ago. Many are gone, (Listener) and others have changed their format to be more widely acceptable to the non-audiophile.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks. Surpise there isn't any more, since audiophiles love spending monies
tongue.gif

Maybe some people on head-fi should form up and write one!
redface.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 14
I have a monthly to Stereophile (I just got bored of the heinous pricing of TAS and how it was really very very very subjective compared to Stereophile) and I pick up UHF (and keep considering a monthly with them as well). I like UHF more overall, especially for there 4 tiered review (or 4 person review to be exact) and they cover a lot of Canadian and British gear that the US press completely omits, as well as concentrating on some really cool Chinese stuff. Well worth the $5/month.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 14
I just realised i get NO audio rags anymore ! the closest thing i do get is TapeOP and Shure Magazine
rolleyes.gif

I do get many technical periodicals though.My current fav is EDN Mag.Next up ECM (electrical contractors magazine,fred probably gets that one
tongue.gif
)

Looks like it is time to correct the situation and re-up for Stereophile and Audio eXpress.

winter =reading time.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 14
A couple I like include Bound For Sound (small newsletter, no ads) and The Inner Ear Report (this is Canadian). Others include The Audiophile Voice, Sensible Sound, and some free online ones: Soundstage.com, Enjoythemusic.com, and positive-feedback.com

For the DIY'ers, there are some, but I'm less familiar with them.

Jan 27, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 14
Hi Fi + has nice pictures. There is also What Hi Fi, which is kind of lame. If you like reading reviews of $50,000 speakers and Musical Fidelity equipment, then Stereophile is for you.

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Hi-Fi + (Plus) is a pretty good mag too, however its UK so it is a bit expensive.

I subscribe to this and look forward to it. I particularly like the music reviews including vinyl.

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 14
Agree, re: HiFi+ and music reviews. They have a tendancy to pick female vox, both jazz and folk/acoustic, that I usually end up liking a LOT. I've found some nice music through them.

The only one I liked better was Tracking Angle. Wish Michael Fremer could have put that online like think his original intention was (when the mag folded).

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 14
I get Stereophile, but I hate it.

A typical stereophile review:

"These speakers are the absolute best I have ever heard. They are forward yet laid back, intimate yet exciting, neutral yet colored and musical, and they are such a great value at $40,000!!!"

rolleyes.gif

I have only read one review from them I trusted: The one regarding the PSB 2B speakers.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 14
Out if all the UK mags my favourite is probably Hi Fi choice. It use to be What hi fi but then it went downhill. What hi fi is good for a noob though and is easy to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back