What are the advantages in picking the Schiit Modi 2 over the Behringer Q502USB?
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FieldEffect

100+ Head-Fier
The Schiit Modi 2 is $99 (or $149 for the uber model), and it is about as simplistic as a USB DAC can get.

The Behringer Q502USB is also a USB DAC, but with the added benefits of being a mixer and being only $59. Even without considering all of the other mixer functionality, the analog volume control is nice.

So what would be the advantage in paying more for the Schiit? Which route would you go and why? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 7

The Behringer Q502USB is also a USB DAC, but with the added benefits of being a mixer and being only $59. Even without considering all of the other mixer functionality, the analog volume control is nice.

Actually I don't think the Q502USB is a DAC at all. Reading the description this sounds like an input only device.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q502USB.aspx

And if you do find a device with both input and DAC out do you intend to use Mics, Compression etc?  At this price point I'd be really leery that sacrifices where made to DAC quality to include all the other bells and whistles.

Something like Modi or Stoner UD120 are one trick ponies yes - but they do that trick very well at their pricepoint 
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 7

Actually I don't think the Q502USB is a DAC at all. Reading the description this sounds like an input only device.

I suppose there's something in the terminology I don't understand. DAC means Digital to Analog converter, no? The Q502USB takes a USB input signal (digital) and outputs an audio signal (analog). Isn't that a DAC?

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, DAC usually means a device capable of converting Digital signal from Source (CD Transport, Computer etc.) to Amp.  This device appears to only convert Analog (Mic or input) to digital to stream TO computer.  It doesn't say a word about being able to output content FROM PC.

I would expect to see something like "Automatic support by modern OS without drivers. Maximum audio format: 96Khz/24Bit" if it was capable of output.

Another question - are you going to use an Amp with whatever you purchase?  A DAC by itself will not drive a HP (at least not properly) - you need DAC>AMP>HP or a combined DAC/AMP such as http://schiit.com/products/fulla for $79

For Modi you'd be looking at probably Modi + Magni - the "Advantages" are better sound quality :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Actually mate it does do what you thought it did. It's a 2 in/2 out interface.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q502USB.aspx

The specs not stellar but you shouldn't notice much difference between that and your other choice by ear and you effectively get all the other features 'free'.

So basically your options are between the cachet of owning a boutique item from a cult brand and buying a mass market product from a company with a reputation for selling primarily based on price. Cheap mixers are rarely a bargain. All those moving parts and places for dust and dirt to get in.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Agree with RD. If you Need all of that functionality then it's a bargain. If you don't then you'd probably be better off with a combined DAC/Amp from FIIO or aforementioned Fulla.

I can understand the "Cult" following comment but cache? That's kind of the opposite of the Schiit mantra. Top performance at a given price point without fancy bells and whistles. Their gear is built like a tank and great customer service (buy direct).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back