What are songs you know that have errors (don’t know the right word for it) in the recording?
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cplus44

Head-Fier
For the few of us who like to find errors in music what are some some songs you know that had errors (or whatever the proper word for it is) in music?

Here’s two:

Counting stars- one republic, some people say it’s an artifact left in that’s repeated, others say it’s a squeaky pedal but it goes throughout the song you can’t miss it.

Mother - Danzig, you can hear Danzig whispering to the band in the right in the beginning then taking his hand off the mic to start singing. It’s very hard to hear (with my Sundaras anyway) so you might not be able to hear it at all depending on your gear.

Anyone got any others they can share?

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 8
If you listen to isolated guitar tracks, there’s usually an annoying hum noise but it gets covered up with the music

I’m pretty sure with isolated tracks you can hear ambulance sirens or car traffic in the distance since many studios are literally located in business street districts like the old famous ones in Memphis and Nashville and they are not always in robust sound proof environments. It would not surprise me if there’s an isolated track and you hear a toilet flushing from across the hall and I’ve read somewhere that it’s happened. Many old studios are in buildings that were not meant for music production. Remember that condenser microphones are super sensitive and can pick up everything

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 8
There are also recordings (St martin in the Fields?) where it is said that you can just about hear the rumble of the underground tube trains, many feet below the floor.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 8
There’s an old Erroll Garner recording of him playing the piano solos and the microphone picks up his voice humming along the melodies. It sounds awkward but overall good music

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Pretty much every Keith Jarrett recording I've ever heard has him humming along. It's sometimes enough that I no longer want to listen to his recordings.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 8
^ Same with Glenn Gould.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Probably one of the weirdest noise is the sound of drinking glasses being bumped in the Bill Evans Village Vanguard recording from the 1960s

The Village Vanguard is a small jazz club in a basement in New York where cocktails and other drinks are served and in the live recording, you can hear people bumping their glasses. Possibly waiters removing empty glasses from tables as customers order more drinks and placing the empty glasses on a tray as my guess.

What makes the Village Vanguard different from other jazz clubs is that it’s in a low ceiling basement in a tiny intimate setting so microphones can pickup environmental sounds easily. If someone in the audience farted you can hear it.

I’ve been there 3 times and when I hear the live recordings it’s easy to imagine that acoustic space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back