What are some of the best mixed albums of any genre?
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KElyas

100+ Head-Fier
If you don't know what that means, it's when each sound in the production of the record have been tuned by the engineer to make the album sound the cleanest with clearest and at its optimum 

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Here are a few that I really think are worth mentioning:

Listed in no particular order:

1.)  The Essential Michael Jackson

2.)  Attila Molnar's "Dream"

3.)  Bella Sonus' "Enamoured"

4.)  Birdy's Self titled Album "Birdy"

5.)  Bonobo's Album "Black Sands"

6.)  Franks Sinatra with Count Basie "Sinatra At the Sands" Live

7.)  Gillian Welch's Album "The Harrow & The Harvest"

8.)  James Carter's Album "Conversin' With the Elders"

9.)  Dion's Album "Bronx In Blue"

10.)  Dream Theater's Album"Black Clouds & Silver Linings"

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Bill Evan Trio's Waltz for Debby
Rage Against the Machine's S/T
Peter Gabriel's So

If it's fair to name LP cuts I could go way way longer.

It's really tough to name specifics because of mastering differences between the same albums.

You're talking about mastering as well as mixing, by the way.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Bill Evan Trio's Waltz for Debby
Rage Against the Machine's S/T
Peter Gabriel's So

If it's fair to name LP cuts I could go way way longer.

It's really tough to name specifics because of mastering differences between the same albums.

You're talking about mastering as well as mixing, by the way.

Yes, you're right on the money! There may be huge differences between various releases of the same album. I have been impressed with re-masters of: - Dylan's Blood on the Tracks ('09 I think) - Sabbath's Paranoid. Master of Reality. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Sanctuary versions) - Doors 6 studio albums (DMC-Rhino I think)

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Forget the Rhino LPs. Get the Analogue Productions 45s. They blow away every other version, IMO.

I sold my Rhino LP box soon after get the AP 45s.

Quote:

Yes, you're right on the money! There may be huge differences between various releases of the same album.I have been impressed with re-masters of:- Dylan's Blood on the Tracks ('09 I think)- Sabbath's Paranoid. Master of Reality. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Sanctuary versions)- Doors 6 studio albums (DMC-Rhino I think)

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Regrets. I was referring to CD versions. I've been so focused on CDs that I read right past the word 'albums' in the thread title and assumed the topic was CDs...my mistake

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 10
That's mainly why I asked, but again...There are some excellent Doors cuts out there. DCCs and recent Analogue Productions SACDs are the best, IMO.

Quote:
Regrets. I was referring to CD versions. I've been so focused on CDs that I read right past the word 'albums' in the thread title and assumed the topic was CDs...my mistake

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi Morbid. I really like the Doors. So, if you don't mind a follow-up request...I'd appreciate your comparison thoughts. Maybe just the debut album in CD format would be fine. I have lossless rips of the 40th anniversary CD re-master and a Japanese CD version that also sounds very good (original speed of Light My Fire). What do you like more about the versions that you cited? I'm focused on CD as I don't have SACD capability on my PC and no turntable. Thx

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Hi Morbid. I really like the Doors. So, if you don't mind a follow-up request...I'd appreciate your comparison thoughts. Maybe just the debut album in CD format would be fine. I have lossless rips of the 40th anniversary CD re-master and a Japanese CD version that also sounds very good (original speed of Light My Fire). What do you like more about the versions that you cited? I'm focused on CD as I don't have SACD capability on my PC and no turntable. Thx

I've never listened for specific things when it comes to masters. I tend to just say 'This just sounds better than the others' and keep one version.

It'd be worth your while as a Doors fan to read this thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-doors-reissues-45rpm-vinyl-sacd-part-02.306391/

IIRC the new SACDs have a great red book layer, too. They also discuss the DCCs. You may want to ask about your specific versions vs the DCC and new SACDs.

I can tell you with the new 45s I instantly noticed the incredible bass.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 10
OK, great!. Thx for the lead/suggestions. I'll check them out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back