What are some good IEMs for under $100
Apr 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chuckle490

100+ Head-Fier
I had decided on purchasing the DN-1000s but being a college student I cannot really justify spending that much on IEMs right now. Are there any good alternatives for sub $100? I listen to primarily electronic music, but also listen to pretty much every other genre as well. I will listen primarily through my HTC One M8, or my iPod classic's headphone out, maybe occasionally through my JDS Labs C5. I require good isolation and low microphonics for these are for walking around campus, and road trips. I would also prefer a bit of bass emphasis. I was really considering the Audio Technica ATHCKS99s, but I could not find very many impressions of them on here. Would the EPH-100 be worth the extra $30? Also is the DN-1000 worth it's price? Thanks for any help!

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 5
The Dunu Titan (just slightly above budget, I believe) and the HiFiMAN RE-400 might both be worth reading about. Both have very high SQ relative to price. Whether they meet your other list of criteria is something you will have to sort out. As you know, isolation can be very tricky to predict with IEM's. It's always best if you can listen before buying--if at all possible. amazon is another option--has an excellent returns policy, as you may know. A few thoughts for you. Good luck!!

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 5
In order of preference:

1. Shure SE215

2. VSonic VSD3S

3. Brainwavz S5

If I were you, I'd not consider the RE400. It has a bass-light signature. The others I've listed aren't bashed levels, but there are solid performers that respond well to EQ since you're using your phone and your amp has a bass boost. My .02

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you guys for the recommendations! I was very interested in the titan at first, but because of its design I am afraid it will not isolate well enough. I had previously considered the RE-400, but as JoeDoe said every review I read states that the bass is well extended, but lacks impact. I was considering the SE 215 previously, but read that they were overrated, and that because of their single driver design, can be a bit slow especially with electronic music. I'll research the VSD3S and the S5s thank you for your suggestions! I keep trying to think of ways to justify purchasing the DN 1000, do either of you have any experience with it? 
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 5
I had it for several months. It's a very capable IEM. Slightly V-shaped signature, but excellent base in great detail up top. Also, I believe there is a pair of Vsonic GR 07BE's in the sale forum right now. Those would be a great solution for you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back