What Are Some Good Headphones for Around $100?
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Dyingpie

New Head-Fier
So let me start off by saying I'm new to these forums and don't know much about headphones or the specs of them. But, heres my back story. For the past year I have been begging my parents to even let me get some good headphones. I was begging and begging even to get a pair for $50 but they just wouldn't budge. I was even going to buy the headphones myself! They would always say "You don't need good headphones, they're expensive and are not worth it!" When they said this I would literally go on rants about why that isn't true. I did something helpful for my Mom that she finally agreed to let me get a pair. I really want to get them soon because I don't want her to go back on her deal.

So basically I'm looking for a pair of headphones for around $100 dollars. Here is what I want from them:
-Pretty good sound quality
-Portable, not big or heavy
-Good looking, I don't want anything that looks very techy and weird like the Koss Porta Pros, I'd prefer a typical look like the Krk 6400's
-They need to be comfortable.
-I'd like it so people around me wont hear the music/audio coming from the headphones

Im not very sure about whether I want open headphones or closed headphones, as I really have no experience with headphones, nor do I really know the differences. Also I'm not sure if I want over the ear or on the ear headphones, whichever you think is better overall. I've been looking at the KRK 6400's. I read reviews that seemed promising, until I noticed that the reviews were all from 2011. So I'm not really sure if they're obsolete yet. I'll tell you what I really found to be my favorite thing I heard about. How comfortable they are.... I cannot , repeat cannot stand un-comfortable headphones.

So thats it! Hope I didn't screw up my first thread on this forum. I tried Yahoo answers and another forums that nobody knew anything about headphones... They all suggested to me Beats and Im like "Wow shut up, I want actual headphones, not flashy pieces of over priced headbands that are worth $50."

If theres any more details you need feel free to ask!

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 24
Open cans will offer better soundstage and a more natural sound, but they will leak and they provide almost no isolation.
Closed cans usually have smaller soundstage, better bass impact and usually more quantity in bass, they do provide isolation and block out good amounts of a background noise.

Looks like Grados will suit you right. Look into the SR80i. However, they do leak and people will here your music so they're not so portable.

If you can push the budget a bit more you can get yourself an ATH-A900x which is excellent and fits all your needs.

You'd also be very happy with the JVC HA S500, I bought mine for $40 ($55 with shipping) and they are spectacular for the price. That being said, they're not very comfy.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 24
PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), sells on amazon for around $55-$65.

8.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 24
Open cans will offer better soundstage and a more natural sound, but they will leak and they provide almost no isolation.
Closed cans usually have smaller soundstage, better bass impact and usually more quantity in bass, they do provide isolation and block out good amounts of a background noise.

Looks like Grados will suit you right. Look into the SR80i. However, they do leak and people will here your music so they're not so portable.

If you can push the budget a bit more you can get yourself an ATH-A900x which is excellent and fits all your needs.

You'd also be very happy with the JVC HA S500, I bought mine for $40 ($55 with shipping) and they are spectacular for the price. That being said, they're not very comfy.

Ya, the Grados SR80i I've heard good things about. But are they very comfortable? From the pictures the don't seem to be. Also the ATH-A900x's look to "different" for my needs. Now I know that sounds stupid but I don't want to stand out at school when using them. Even that sounds stupid, but you know.....

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 24
PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2), sells on amazon for around $55-$65.

8.gif

Ya thats another thing, I don't really want, or need, to carry around an amplifier wherever I go. I really just want headphones..... Im already carrying my phone and iTouch with me wherever I go in my pockets so I cant afford to place another thing in my pocket at the same time.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 24
Comfort on the Grado's is honestly hit or miss, you might wanna try them out first and see for yourself. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 24
Comfort on the Grado's is honestly hit or miss, you might wanna try them out first and see for yourself. 

Sure, that makes sense. Do you know where I can try out a pair? Like any stores? Im leaving to NYC tomorrow so I'd prefer it be a store globally found. But if not I can just buy them today if I like them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
Sure, that makes sense. Do you know where I can try out a pair? Like any stores? Im leaving to NYC tomorrow so I'd prefer it be a store globally found. But if not I can just buy them today if I like them.

I wish i could help you with that, but i can't unfortunately. I've never been to NYC, or USA for that matter, but try looking around for guitar stores, they usually have high quality audio gear/equipment. 

I haven't heard the 6400's, but this reviewer does like them a lot: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 24
I wish i could help you with that, but i can't unfortunately. I've never been to NYC, or USA for that matter, but try looking around for guitar stores, they usually have high quality audio gear/equipment. 

I haven't heard the 6400's, but this reviewer does like them a lot: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Ok, theres a guitar center near me so I'll go there. Also like I said that reviews from 2011. I guess I'm wondering how long does it take for headphones to become obsolete and not worth it?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #13 of 24
A headphone only becomes obsolete if its price increases dramatically, or if there's more contenders at the same price range that offer better sound quality.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

That, +1 :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back