What are people’s opinion of the Niimbus 5 Pro amp?
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 20
Excellent in every way with elite build quality, excellent warranty.
I havent' heard Bliss, but it seems to be its natural competitor, but with probably slightly worse build, less warranty. I also dont think you can send bliss for repairs after 10 years of service like you can send all Lake People products.
I like My v222 a lot, but surely im gonna add Niimbus to my collection down the line, because i was so impressed with it.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 20
Comment from GoldenOne.

+++

Niimbus vs Bliss comparison would be very welcome.
I've not spent proper time with Niimbus at home, but from my short time listening to it, I personally am not really sure it holds up against amps like the OOR, Bliss, HM1 etc. Perhaps a couple years ago it would have been quite compelling but at the moment I wouldn't likely say it's a great option.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 20
Comment from GoldenOne.

+++

I've not spent proper time with Niimbus at home, but from my short time listening to it, I personally am not really sure it holds up against amps like the OOR, Bliss, HM1 etc. Perhaps a couple years ago it would have been quite compelling but at the moment I wouldn't likely say it's a great option.
Its laughable cause Niimbus is technically ahead of Oor and its not hard to hear.
Golden is young and not experienced guy when it comes to years in this hobby, i wont take his opinion seriously.
Few minutes of listening in meet setup is not enough.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 20
Niimbus is very good, along the lines of a AHB2, for example.

IMO it doesn't resolve detail as clear and smooth as other solid-state and follows a more dry timbre.

It depends where your listening preference swings, from warmer 13R/23R/430A or colder CFA3.

The Niimbus is definitely their more reference voiced amplifier through their lineage.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 20
Niimbus is very good, along the lines of a AHB2, for example.

IMO it doesn't resolve detail as clear and smooth as other solid-state and follows a more dry timbre.

It depends where your listening preference swings, from warmer 13R/23R/430A or colder CFA3.

The Niimbus is definitely their more reference voiced amplifier through their lineage.
I would say that Niimbus is better than Benchmark amps. Similar amount of details, but more dynamic with noticably more depth and width and a hair smoother on top of that.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 20
I would say that Niimbus is better than Benchmark amps. Similar amount of details, but more dynamic with noticably more depth and width and a hair smoother on top of that.
The sound quality of the AHB2 is dependent on the preamp used with it. I tried 3 different preamps with my AHB2 and the sound quality was quite different from each one. I take your comments about the AHB2 sound with a huge boulder of salt.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 20
They are both very neutral, very dry even keeled dynamically, the AHB2 mono can open up a bit more but you are better off with a different amplification route.

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 20
It is a good and versatile amp. Agreed it is on the dryer/colder side.
If the price cut 50% it may be an amp I would recommend for its versatility.
To me there are quite a few better options in the 3k range.

Mar 10, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 20
i have the us4 and have not yearned for another ss amp since buying it for my susvaras (And utopias)

some say susvaras lack somewhat in bass and there is a dip in the mids somewhere in the susvaras with some over brightness up top. Some say. I have never heard that in my set up with the holo may.

some also say there is a dip in the mids with the abyss 1266 which would turn me off the 1266 and delayed me wanting to demo the 1266. When demoing the 1266 tc twice for about 30 minutes each time a dip in the mids was not present or obvious for me.

that leaves me thinking that is part of the nature of the us4. Not warmish, like the v281, and not too neutral but with a fuller sound that is not too full And maybe a touch of richness fullness in the mids.

when i first demoed the niimbus (coming from v280 and taurus) one thing that stood out was the texture in sound and notes right across the spectrum

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 20
i have the us4 and have not yearned for another ss amp since buying it for my susvaras (And utopias)

some say susvaras lack somewhat in bass and there is a dip in the mids somewhere in the susvaras with some over brightness up top. Some say. I have never heard that in my set up with the holo may.

some also say there is a dip in the mids with the abyss 1266 which would turn me off the 1266 and delayed me wanting to demo the 1266. When demoing the 1266 tc twice for about 30 minutes each time a dip in the mids was not present or obvious for me.

that leaves me thinking that is part of the nature of the us4. Not warmish, like the v281, and not too neutral but with a fuller sound that is not too full And maybe a touch of richness fullness in the mids.

when i first demoed the niimbus (coming from v280 and taurus) one thing that stood out was the texture in sound and notes right across the spectrum
What gain are you setting? How is the niimbus connected (XLR or RCA)?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 20
Its laughable cause Niimbus is technically ahead of Oor and its not hard to hear.
Golden is young and not experienced guy when it comes to years in this hobby, i wont take his opinion seriously.
wow that is a pretty strong statement, how do you know he is young?

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 20
Comment from GoldenOne.

+++

I had the opportunity to compare Violectric 550, Niimbus and ORR. ORR was the weakest of them. Bass resolution, stereophonic musical imagery, and treble brilliance were not on the same level as the 550 and Niimbus. The advantage of the 550 and Niimbus is also the possibility of more flexible gain settings. Thanks to this experience, I refused to buy ORR (already being the owner of Violectric 590 and Soloist GT).

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #14 of 20
What gain are you setting? How is the niimbus connected (XLR or RCA)?
xlr out of the holo and xlr hp cable: Susvaras at +12 and utopias at -6 (usually).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #15 of 20
even though i respect his opinions and input i also think that it should he considered that he is younger and maybe has not been in this hobby for too long compared to some older farts, when hearing his subjective views :)

though he speaks on some technical things that i have no idea on, so what do i know and i can’t argue with that stuff

i have been in this hobby for a bit over 10 years and my preferences and understandings of what i hear and like has definitely evolved and /or changed as i increase my experiences

i have also seen in recent years some members who move into this hobby and start at (close to) summit fi and express their views passionately on certain gear, yet a few months later re assess their opinions as their own experiences build up. Some of these changes are not that surprising when they come back to us - and that’s ok

i am always happy to hear someone’s personal opinions and experiences, and joyful finds but acknowledge that each of our opinions are just that, ie our own and not someone else’s and that’s what’s so good about this subjective hobby. We all come from different places and time in this hobby so that should be considered when hearing someone out with what they are sharing

eg a mate of mine who has been into headfi longer then me has some overlapping views to mine but i still can not enjoy grados, ultrasones or fostex headphones like he can. And that’s ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back