What are high frequencies?
Jul 25, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
I am returning my UE-5c because of fit issues and am gonna get either super.fi 5 Pros or UM2s. Everyone is saying they have terrible highs or seriously rolled off treble. What are some instruments that produce these frequencies besides cymbals. What music genres consist of such frequencies. I am NOT an audiophile. Will I really miss anything? I listen to rock, rap, r&b. I just want good sound when I'm at the gym. Something that won't fall out.

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
This will give you an idea of what range many instruments fall into:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/FrequenciesOfMusic.html

I don't listen to any of the instruments that fall into the treble range according to that chart. Hopefully the super.fis will suit me just fine. If not...well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks.

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 13
The majority of the sound that people hear in music falls between 100hz and 10khz. What people generally think of as being high frequencies are actually the high mids. My equalizer has taught me a lot about identifying specific frequencies.

See ya
Steve

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 13
aww you're leaving Team UE5c?
frown.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Will I really miss anything?

No, not really. Enjoy.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
The UE-5Cs can be returned?

If they cannot get the fit right they will refund your money. They guarantee a perfect fit. I wish they could. But I just have odd ears.

I really hope youre right Dusty Chalk. I am mainly looking for comfort. The UE-5c sounds great but the fit sucks. It would be wonderful if I found something that works for me.

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The majority of the sound that people hear in music falls between 100hz and 10khz. What people generally think of as being high frequencies are actually the high mids. My equalizer has taught me a lot about identifying specific frequencies.

See ya
Steve

Agreed, I have also spent some educational time playing with a pc based eq.
I ended up doing all kinds of strange thing, such as listening to music with
a band width or only a couple of hundred hertz centered around say 12k
blink.gif

Also adjusting the eq to reproduce the average hearing spectrum of an 70 year old etc.

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 13
The stuff above 10K is generally harmonics -- overtones. But they're important, because they contribute to the sound qualities of the instrument even if the instrument itself is playing much lower. So your instruments will sound less realistic without the upper frequncies.

That said, no headphones have such terrible highs that you wouldn't get ANYTHING up there.

Jul 25, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 13
I didn't mean to say that you don't need anything above 10khz... it's just much less important to the sound than the core frequencies.

For comparison, FM radio has a capability of reproducing as high as 12-15khz. The best car stereo systems don't get any higher. You can tell the difference between an FM broadcast and a CD, but it's relatively small.

Generally, the imbalance of response of car speakers, and the compression of the FM signal is much more of an issue to sound quality than the frequency range.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back