What are good positioning headphones?
Dec 27, 2001 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mancora

New Head-Fier
I mainly use headphones for gaming, and on CS it important to know where someone is very well.

Any ideas on some good positioning headphone under 80ish dollars?

Dec 27, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 23
do surround sound headphones make that much of a difference?

you probably need the game and/or sound card have to support sorround sound headphones, right?

or have i not studdied enough and the sony v6 are surround headphones?

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 23
Well, friend, you can't really get surround headphones that work with EAX....

The trick with positioning and games is to get a good set of easy to drive closed headphones, and set the computer and game to "two speakers" and turn A3D on.

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 23
also, getting good positioning headphones may not help you very much if you have a REALLY cheap soundcard or on board sound....

i think the lowest you wanna go for cheap sound positioning is like the Hercules Muse XL or the Creative Soundblaster Live Value (or if turtle beach makes a cheap one, don't know though, don't get turtle beach products in canada).

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 23
DONT BUY SOUNDBLASTER!!! everyone gets it because they think its the best and its the only one available in major retail stores...

look into some turtle beach stuff or hercules.....good cards that are often overlooked...

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
DONT BUY SOUNDBLASTER!!! everyone gets it because they think its the best and its the only one available in major retail stores...

look into some turtle beach stuff or hercules.....good cards that are often overlooked...

I bet you hate sonys too
very_evil_smiley.gif

so other than soundblaster being recognised as a good product with excellent reliability(i still have my sb16 working prefectly 10+yrs) what are the reasons for not purchasing a soundblaster?
does other alternative brands offer better sound? better price? compared with the new SB audigy?

Dec 28, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

other than soundblaster being recognised as a good product with excellent reliability(i still have my sb16 working prefectly 10+yrs) what are the reasons for not purchasing a soundblaster?

Actually, if you go onto a tech board you'll find a lot of people complaining about driver issues with the sb live (certain setups seem to be cause more trouble than others so YMMV).

Supposedly cards like the afformentioned Turle beach and hercules cards are cheaper and sound better. The live resamples
all audio it processes to 48Khz which adds noise (though I think other sound cards do this too(?)), and there are questions about whether the audigy really supports 24/96 like creative claims...

Dec 28, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I bet you hate sonys too
so other than soundblaster being recognised as a good product with excellent reliability(i still have my sb16 working prefectly 10+yrs) what are the reasons for not purchasing a soundblaster?
does other alternative brands offer better sound? better price? compared with the new SB audigy?

Sony is mostly crap, particularly at the consumer level.

The SB16 is an old card that has very very mature drivers for it. Does it run games in EAX/A3D? No. Does it have an optical digital out? No. Does it support 24bit/96Khz sampling? No. Does it sound like absolute crap? Yes.

Sound quality is one major problem with soundcards. My SB Live is hissy and has a harsh, phased treble. This is mostly due to the sampling rate conversions.

As far as driver problems, most modern cards have their share of them, the Live is no diferent. It seems like a worse problem because so many people have them however, and they are decent cards, just nothing top of the line.

The Audigy is more on par/slightly ahead of the other modern cards in pure sound quality (hearsay), but it is lacking a few 3d audio effects. Also, the Audiophile 2496 and several other more high end sound cards offer much better sound quality.

Dec 28, 2001 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 23
Hello
Quote:

Actually, if you go onto a tech board you'll find a lot of people complaining about driver issues with the sb live (certain setups seem to be cause more trouble than others so YMMV).

Not with me... I don't have any driver issues with Sound Blaster Live! series. (Hint:- 100% Linux + ALSA driver
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I don't have any chance to try Turtle Beach, and looking forward to try it. I found a very informative links that might be useful to us all.
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/reports/

Dec 28, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 23
Well, with headphones, you want good quality and good A3D...

I would suggest the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for good A3D...also, the Philips Rhythmic Edge should be nice.

Do you *just* want to use headphones??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back