What are Darth Beyers?
Aug 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

freckling

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, they are one of those headphones that I've known about for who knows how long but I never actually bothered to find out what they really are. Are they a pair of Beyers with a specific mod?

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 60
Aug 21, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 60
Not all woodied and/or recabled Beyers being passed off as Darths. Larry has started adding a little inlaid dot of contrasting wood on the left cup to identify "real" Darths. He's also introducing the "V4" Darths, which have a different (and more distinctive) cup shape, among other things. I haven't seen it, but apparently Larry has good reason to think that others are trying to pass off woodied Beyers as Darths.

I signed up on some website that monitors changes in web pages just so I can see Larry's latest creations on the Deals page as soon as they're posted. I can't remember the monitoring site's name right now, but if anyone cares, drop me a pm and I'll look it up.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 60
On the other hand, I think most people think that they sound far better than stock 770s..

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, I think most people think that they sound far better than stock 770s..

I think the problem is more that, so do a lot of other things that cost as much as DBs.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is more that, so do a lot of other things that cost as much as DBs.

And a lot of other things that cost a lot less.

Ford2.
confused_face.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a lot of other things that cost a lot less.

Well you are both correct in a certain sense but I'm sure there are many people who enjoy the sound sig of the DT770 and want to get more of the same thing but of higher quality. The Darths would then be a good step for these people.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #14 of 60
Like Solid Snake, there are also a lot of people who like the Darths. It seems that people who don't like them are more vocal and people who like them don't really care.

You don't see people being vocal about Grado SR-225 being overrated because he would anger a legion of people but from reading the most overrated headphone thread, there were more SR225 votes than anything else.

I own both, (and some more) and the Darths are definitely my favorite cans.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 60
Some naysayers have heard and don't like Darths. Fair enough. I personally do like them but I am ultimately more of a DT880 guy with my current equipment. I find it fascinating though that a number of people trashing the Darths in these recent threads have obviously never heard them.

I guess piling on is what... A way to fit in? A way to get the post count up? A way to sound knowledgeable? [Insert valid motive here]?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back