What are Best bass Cans That pack a punch?
Feb 26, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Mush

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fi need some help here for my next pair.looking for a pair of cans that goes deep and clear and has lots of bass? i currently have the super.fi 5 eb, but imo it lacks the punch the subwoofers have
What are Best bass Cans That pack a punch? Some say the Dt770/80's bass i muddy? if so what other bass cans do you guys suggest?

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 33
I say the Stax SR-007.
Never heard a headphone with a bass performance that match these. Both in punch, control and extension.
smily_headphones1.gif

img0131qh3.jpg

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi head-fi need some help here for my next pair.looking for a pair of cans that goes deep and clear and has lots of bass? i currently have the super.fi 5 eb, but imo it lacks the punch the subwoofers have
What are Best bass Cans That pack a punch? Some say the Dt770/80's bass i muddy? if so what other bass cans do you guys suggest?

my dt770's bass is muddy......from poor music files or source.

the bass is overpowering sometimes..but nothing a good adjustment in settings can't do =)

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 33
oO wow i just read up on some prices of the stax sr007, am i seeing this right? $4000? lol im not sure im willing to spend that much.......(yet?) haha

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 33
u really don't know the potential of the SF5 EB's. i suggest you find a source with an equalizer and bump up the lower frequencies. i've never heard a more volume/bass tolerant driver than the ones the EB's have. they will not distort no matter how much bass you input and they will faithfully reproduce it even at insane volumes. i tested it, and it beat out any other headphone i have and it has the ability to vibrate my eyeballs if need be. you have one of the best bass performers but you just aren't using it's potential, i guarantee it. my friends are car bass fanatics, and even they were overwhelmed, so don't think that i'm just someone who perceives even a little bass to be a lot. i really do mean GOBS of bass here.

but...if u want bass that's more subwoofer-like, you should look for fullsized headphones, in which case i recommend the ultrasone proline 750 or dt770. (the prolines have better quality bass though)

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oO wow i just read up on some prices of the stax sr007, am i seeing this right? $4000? lol im not sure im willing to spend that much.......(yet?) haha

It can be had for $1500-1800. But it might still not be up your alley.
You did not mention a budget or price range at all, so I just answered your question.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 33
Krmathis: your right i didnt but that suggestion was a good idea what i was in for when i joined head-fi lol

Shahrose: im using them with my P2 with custom eq

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 33
use your laptop with the foobar2000 equalizer. even my cowon d2's eq doesn't have enough bands to uncover the bass without muddying the sound. with 18 bands in foobar though, it's much easier. they need a V-curve eq response.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 33
Thx Shahrose, my friend just told me about foobar yesteday, have yet to try it, but certainly will try it out today, my p2 custom eq was set to V shaped, but the bass got distorted, prob due to the bad quality of the mp3, i changed it to a nike check shape.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 33
nike check is actually exactly what my eq for the EB's looks like. nice visual description. it's more like a nike check than a V curve. also, the bass distortion you're getting is common in DAPs, especially ipods. the only players i've heard that don't distort with high eq'ing are mostly cowon and iriver branded. always remember to cut down, never boost. meaning the highest level in any band should be set to the middle (nothing higher than middle) and whatever frequencies you want lowered, you lower. don't do it the other way around, ie, boosting the frequencies that you like above that medium level; this leads to distortion even from a lot of computer sound cards, let alone mp3 players.

edit: here's what my eq looks like on foobar for the EB's. may seem a bit extreme but try it out, adjust for bass if you want. i have a warm amp and source so the bass is already pretty high.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 33
From what I have tried, I would say the jvc-dx1000's have the most punch, but not in a boomy way. There is lots of bass, but it doesn't sound boomy or bassy the way some can, like the dt770's. It is rather tight and powerful.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 33
sigh wish i could try all these suggestions side by side ><"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back