What Antivirus Program for Vista?
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 38
Wait a minute, I thought viruses wouldn't run under Vista
confused.gif

Y'know, kinda like games, sound card drivers, web browsers, cad programs, and pretty much everything else won't.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 38
Kapersky, NOD32, Norton Corporate/Enterprise are what I use. Notron for the majority of my computers on my home network, as I can use a server to push it, and then a mix of NOD32 and Kapersky on my personal computers (ie. desktop and laptop.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend the money on the Mac. Best anti-virus protection.
wink.gif

Security through obscurity is not secure.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 38
Eset NOD32 or Kaspersky.

I'm also keeping my eye on what Comodo can cook up. Their AV is in beta and from what I hear, not that good at the moment, but hopefully it will improve as I quite like their new, just out-of-beta, firewall. As an added bonus, Comodo products are free.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 38
I recommend NOD32 or Kaspersky. I personally use NOD32 because it has such a small footprint on my system's resources and it has never failed me.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 38
Agree on NOD32. Used it several years and never had any problems with it. Uses very little resources. Doesnt bother you either, just some nice update messages now and then. The best by far IMO.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 38
Norton Internet security 08, highest ratings for virus and spyware protection, and the firewall is damn good to boot, and if you can remember to mail in the rebates, its always free yearly to upgrade

some might argue that Norton has some serious recourse hogging, eh, cept for their 06 suite, everything else runs pretty well

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 38
Another vote for NOD32, use it in bootcamp on this machine, well worth it!

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #24 of 38
i recommend nod32. i haven't really found another antivirus problem that uses less resources. the scans are pretty fast. if i didn't use nod32, i would use kaspersky. it has the highest rate of detection (in a full deep system scan), but it uses more resources. the old version 5.0 used to add its own annoying extension to every file that it scanned, which was really annoying. i think that the newest version scans a lot faster and has a smaller footprint, so it's comparable to nod32. nod32 is the fastest and smallest that i've found, though.

stay away from norton though. system resource hog, and mediocre detection rates. my school uses the corporate version of symantec, and it barely protects against anything. pain in the butt to use.

if you're not willing to pay for antivirus, try antivir or avg. those seem to be the most popular. there's also clamav, but i don't know how that is. i think a while ago, aol used to offer kaspersky without the active protection, and they called it activevirusshield. i just checked, they don't offer that anymore.

in the past, i've just run zonealarm under an account with no administrator privileges w/ firefox + some plugins for that without using any antivirus. that's served me fine for several years. just use your common sense, and you'll be able to avoid anything nasty. (immunize your system with spybot + spywareblaster. doesn't use any resources at all)

of course, if you're truly a minimalist, just use linux. Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
smily_headphones1.gif
no viruses there. haha... (List of Linux computer viruses and worms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #26 of 38
Another vote for NOD32, great stuff all around. Kaspersky is good too. Norton is ok, but really, given the other options, I don't see any reason to go with it.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Security through obscurity is not secure.

Assuming OS X (or *nix) security comes only through obscurity is a simple falsity.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #28 of 38
I know everyone is going to say im ready for the loony bin, however, a friend of mine installed Live One Care on his wifes computer and then talked me into using it on my new vista notebook. I have always used norton or the likes and had some problems and some success as well. Live One Care is the best I have ever used. I tried 3 different demos and then bought One Care after using it for 3 hours. It integrates with vista perfectly. It updates itself with no bother and the different components of the program are integrated better than any other security program I have ever seen. It integrates so well that you get the feeling it is over simplified but that is because it is so easy to use compared to the others. Try the demo, you also get 3 licenses with a subscription as well. Only takes a few minutes to try it and you wont be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back