What Antivirus Program for Vista?
Nov 30, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

coco

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a new Vista desktop because I am too damn cheap to go Apple. What is the best running Anti-virus/Spyware software that does it all and does not ask me every minute if I want to accept or deny the program I just started up? Price isn't a big deal and I have 3 gigs of ram to run it. Thanks, Colin

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 38
Deleted: Sorry, thought you were after a free Anti-Virus so I was giving info on the wrong topic!

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 38
Anti Virus - ESET NOD32 (best antivirus out their, it has been the best and continues to be the best!)

All In One (Antivirus, Firewall, Antispam/spy) - ESET Smart Security (recently released, I have it and it works great)

Good luck!

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 38
Spend the money on the Mac. Best anti-virus protection.
wink.gif

Or NOD32 recommendation number four. Even Symantec has come a long way recently and no longer bloatware.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVG anyone?

AVG for me definitely. I like how it doesn't stick its nose in all the time and just updates when you switch on for the first time that day.

Deleted the 'generous' 90-day Norton security suite free trial as I can't stand Norton taking control of everything. It's bad enough that every time I press a key, Vista asks if I want to continue! YES I DO - I just pressed the bloody key!

Anyway, AVG and Zone Alarm are my favourite free downloads. Never had a problem with either.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVG for me definitely. I like how it doesn't stick its nose in all the time and just updates when you switch on for the first time that day.
Deleted the 'generous' 90-day Norton security suite free trial as I can't stand Norton taking control of everything. It's bad enough that every time I press a key, Vista asks if I want to continue! YES I DO - I just pressed the bloody key!
Anyway, AVG and Zone Alarm are my favourite free downloads. Never had a problem with either.

i love AVG. i don't know why.
maybe it's because of the ogres that come out. lol

i recently switched my pc to mac but since i am using
paraelles, i can never let go of the AVG.

But i'm starting to see more and more of Mac Viruses...
what's up with that?!?!?!

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo3014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But i'm starting to see more and more of Mac Viruses...
what's up with that?!?!?!

You're hearing reports of possible exploits. It's a little less threatening if you read the details. Best way to stay away from virii on the Mac is not install Office which is responsible for 90%+ exploits in Mac history.

BTW, with NOD32, just be aware some apps won't run with it. Google Desktop didn't last I checked.

And in the interest of fairness, I should mention I'm contracting with Symantec when I made the above comment.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're hearing reports of possible exploits. It's a little less threatening if you read the details. Best way to stay away from virii on the Mac is not install Office which is responsible for 90%+ exploits in Mac history.
BTW, with NOD32, just be aware some apps won't run with it. Google Desktop didn't last I checked.
And in the interest of fairness, I should mention I'm contracting with Symantec when I made the above comment.

ahh, sorry for the mix-up.
but i could of sworn i heard of mac viruses too.
hmm. anyways.

i always believed that there was a conspiracy behind norton or any other
companies.
i felt like those people were the ones behind the viruses because i never
understood how people can come up with a cure so fast. lol

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Office which is responsible for 90%+ exploits in Mac history.

Reeeeally. Would you care to back up that claim? I don't care what platform you're running, there have been and are viruses for it. That includes any cellphone OS built in the last ~5 years. Pick one and do some research, it's fun to see what can be done to your phone.

Realistically, the best virus protection is common sense. Go to trusted websites on a secure browser, have a firewall running and don't be stupid with email. That's all you need to do, it's not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back