What amps work well with the AKG k702's
Nov 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Die_Truant

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i'm super new to the whole world of high quality audio and need some advice. I'm planning on getting a pair of AKG k702s and wanted to know of a decent but not to expensive amp to pair up with them. I've been looking at several and wanted to know if they would all perform well or which ones i should definitely avoid. The ones i've looked at are
-Headroom Micro Amp
-iBasso D10
-PreSonus HP4
-nuForce Icon
-Little Dot MKIII
and of course the main one i keep hearing about but is kinda steep price wise at the moment, the Heed canamp.

I will do most of my listening through my PC, so my other question is do i really even need an amp if i have a good soundcard? I appreciate all the help i can get and really look forward to learning what everyone has to say.
Thanks.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 24
Heed CanAmp is more than decent and not expensive. /me recommend wholeheartedly
k701smile.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 24
You should define budget for a DAC.
Heed Dactilus is a great combo with Heed CanAmp. In the future you can upgrade it by adding better power supply (Heed Q-PSU).

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 24
i just really want a good amp and DAC combo that im not going to break the bank over and will get the job done for now and allow me to upgrade in the future, somewhere in the $600 range if thats at all possible.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 24
In terms of inexpensive DACs, I've been reasonably happy with the HRT Music Streamer+, especially with certain types of music. For inexpensive amps, I'd keep an eye out in the FS forums for a used Head-Direct EF1. Really excellent amplifier. That combo would put you under $600.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 24
If you plan to spend $600 for the DAC, you should definitely spend some time and listen to it before any purchase. Heed Dactilus is within your budget, but there are also many other decent DACs.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan to spend $600 for the DAC, you should definitely spend some time and listen to it before any purchase. Heed Dactilus is within your budget, but there are also many other decent DACs.

i want to try and get both the DAC and the amp for under $600. This will be my first time ever having anything like this i just want something that will be decent enough to get me started.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am just curious, where can a Dactilus be had for $600? I inquired at Blackbird Audio and they told me it was $1000, but they would do $900 shipped for a Head-Fi member.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 24
I guess they meant the version with Q-PSU. In the EU (Heed products should be less expensive here comparing to the US) Dactilus costs approx. $550. PSU is cheaper, should be about $350-400.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 24
It should be since the PSU is a completely separate unit. The PSU is used to power Dactilus or a phonostage. Take a look here: Divine Audio Ltd

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 24
Hmm. Interesting. Dan @ Blackbird told me it was a two piece unit, I didn't realize the Q-PSU was considered an upgrade. How is the DAC powered without the Q-PSU? I hope I am not hijacking the thread, this information seems useful nonetheless.

Just a little confused why it was represented to me this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back