What Amps have best synergy with DT880/HD600?
Oct 17, 2008 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
What Amps have best synergy with DT880/HD600? I would really like to know since I'm looking to upgrade from my "Total AirHead" to something better.

I really want to know which amps would work best with these headphones.

Thanks in advance...

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 13
Does anybody seem to know?? I would really like to know.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Any amp from Ray Samuels Audio will have great synergy with the HD 600. It is common knowledge around here. The DT880 is a different animal so you may want to pick the sound you like the most and choose one for now. You may be going in circles to find an amp to do great with both. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but have not found the ONE amp for everything yet.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 13
I wanted to know which ones had the best synergy with them. I was planning on picking up and amp in the future for both. I'm starting to make some custom RCA interconnects so I can raise the money.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Amps have best synergy with DT880/HD600? I would really like to know since I'm looking to upgrade from my "Total AirHead" to something better.

I really want to know which amps would work best with these headphones.

Thanks in advance...

Can't speak to the DT880, but I've recently purchased and received a Ray Samuals RSA SR71A and although it only has a few hours on it I'm very impressed. There's no doubt that they can drive the HD600's with ease. If you have some cash give them a try

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Are you sure you want a portable amp powering these?

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 13
I will say, RSA The Predator, is a Good match to HD600, However, RSA SR-71a is another Level up.
Unless you listen loss-less Files and/or audiophile grade Music. the SR-71a will make any lesser source sound like FM radio.
Hence I recommend the The Predator, it is Musical, and bit less analytical.
One more thing, the Amps you have now, is a long way from driving the DT880 or HD600 to their design potential. You Pick the Best Phones already, Choose a Sound Signature you like and upgrade source side. as others have said, RSA tuned with Senns HD600. and Meier Use Beyers. Good Hunting.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanBarista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you listen loss-less Files and/or audiophile grade Music. the SR-71a will make any lesser source sound like FM radio.

i doubt that statement.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i doubt that statement.

yeah... seems a little unlikely.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Amps have best synergy with DT880

Well, fwiw I don't have the Total Bithead any more, but neither my Tomahawk (batteries ran out yesterday for only the second time in forever, unfortunately right as I got on the plane...) nor my Pico seem to get my DT880 to really let loose... So after posting a lame procrastination thread here, I ordered a Lunchbox Pro for use with the DT880. Others have recommended a range of (non-portable) tubed amps. Right now I'm playing iTunes through the Pico to the DT880, and it sounds a bit veiled to me in comparison to what I can get from the ER4P/S. Would appreciate other people's opinions on their listening to DT880s with various amps.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 13
I would recommend either a desktop amp with tubes for the headphones you have or a nice set of protable headphones to go with your new portable amp. ATH-ESW9A plus a pico or predator would make a nice combo. If you really want ot stick with the headphones you have then something like a Woo 3+ or a Woo 6 or a simular tube amp would be nice. If you insist on having full size cans driven by a portable then some custom 32 Ohm Beyers or some low impedance AT's would make more sense. Portable most apt to drive your cans properly is the Lisa III, its huge for a portable but technically its a portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back