What amp you use to drive your AKG K501s?
Jan 16, 2005 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gurus

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of 501s. Its a keeper for me. So I am looking to mate it with a good amp that can drive these ineffecient phones and brings out the best in them.

The RP-31 that I have is not it. Rudi's thoughts also on it- "AKG501 is an obsolete headphone out of modern parameters and was not considered as possible match."

So, let me know which amp makes music with the 501s and makes them sing and the sound atributes of the combo.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 19
The K501's sound great with the HD300. I think a tube amp is the way to go with the clean, dry sound of the K501's. Tubes gives the K501's some much needed "wetness" IMO.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
I just got a pair of 501s. Its a keeper for me. So I am looking to mate it with a good amp that can drive these ineffecient phones and brings out the best in them.

The RP-31 that I have is not it. Rudi's thoughts also on it- "AKG501 is an obsolete headphone out of modern parameters and was not considered as possible match."

So, let me know which amp makes music with the 501s and makes them sing and the sound atributes of the combo.

Gurus,
Although I consider AKG501 not a modern design, this do not mean it is a bad headphone, apart of sound quality a limit of the headphone is in the very low sensitivity. RP31 is expressly designed for hi sensitivity cans ( up to 110db ) and with second output can fully drive cans down to 98db ( HD650 ) but the 94db of 501 are hard to drive: From my shop amps I suggest the RP5 for AKG 501 and BD.
Rudi

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi
Gurus,
Although I consider AKG501 not a modern design, this do not mean it is a bad headphone, apart of sound quality a limit of the headphone is in the very low sensitivity. RP31 is expressly designed for hi sensitivity cans ( up to 110db ) and with second output can fully drive cans down to 98db ( HD650 ) but the 94db of 501 are hard to drive: From my shop amps I suggest the RP5 for AKG 501 and BD.
Rudi

I must add that the 501s sound wonderful thru the RP-31 at medium listening levels. Its just that I have to go to 3 o'clock on the volume pot to be at regular listening level so I can't really crank it up there.

I agree with Rudi and also GlowWorm in the above post that a tube amp would be optimal for driving the 501s. I have owned Apogee Ribbon and Snell Type A speakers, both notoriously hard to drive. Both of them benefited from a pair of 200 watt mono tube amps. The only SS amp that I had any success with was the Krell KMA 160 monoblocks. Just hesitant to go to tubes as the midrange is already perfect for me in the 501s and dont want to soften the top end. Don't want to bring in a rich and fuller body warm sound associated with tubes, already have the AD1000 for that. And most of all I want to enjoy music without some of the hassles involved with the upkeep of tube amps. (Tho I might change my mind on that!)

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
The K501's sound great with the HD300. I think a tube amp is the way to go with the clean, dry sound of the K501's. Tubes gives the K501's some much needed "wetness" IMO.

I'd agree that the HD300 does nice things for the K501, but it doesn't address the bass situation.

Look into a PPA with bass boost. Gives the K501 some much-needed low-end weight. Downside is that the upper register can sound a bit hard with some recorded material.

BW

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 19
Hi, I am also using a pair of AKG-501s and am looking to upgrade my amp. What about a Woo 3 or a PPX3 as a match?

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 19
When I used perreaux sxh1/k501 combo, the soundstage was wide along crispy detail, but somewhat hollow center imaging. Sometimes, the vocal felt like he/she was behind the band. Also didn't add enough oomph to the depth bass region. But the overall sound was very clean and dry and thin. However there was plenty more juice powering from sxh1 than mcintosh c28.

When I used mcintosh c28/k501 combo, the soundstage shrunk in width with the gain of more vertical depth and height. The hollow center imaging was gone and very coherent with the rest of the band. With little bit of bass equalization on preamp function, the overall sound was fuller and thicker and warmer. I definately prefer this combo due to the vertical gain of the sound.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
I'd agree that the HD300 does nice things for the K501, but it doesn't address the bass situation.

Look into a PPA with bass boost. Gives the K501 some much-needed low-end weight. Downside is that the upper register can sound a bit hard with some recorded material.

BW

Doesn't sound like a trade-off I'd be willing to make. Personally I have no problem with the bass-light nature of the K501's for most of the music I listen to with them, at least what bass is there is fast and controlled. I don't think an amp should change the sonic signature of a headphone, just accentuate what's already there. If it's bass he's after, just get some DT770's.
basshead.gif

BTW, congrats Bill on your new HD300. I'm glad I talked you into it.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 19
My 501's sounded best with my LaRocco maxed out PPA. Sometimes I added the bass boost, other times I liked the phones without it; depends on the recording you're listening to. Gorgeous sound on jazz.

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Doesn't sound like a trade-off I'd be willing to make. Personally I have no problem with the bass-light nature of the K501's for most of the music I listen to with them, at least what bass is there is fast and controlled. I don't think an amp should change the sonic signature of a headphone, just accentuate what's already there. If it's bass he's after, just get some DT770's.
basshead.gif

BTW, congrats Bill on your new HD300. I'm glad I talked you into it.
wink.gif

I wouldn't have got it without you.
tongue.gif
I've had it for about two weeks now. Incredible with the DT880s. And the K501s sing as never before.

Thanks, Jim.

BW

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 19
Emmeline HR-2 with AD-797's...

I have not heard the AKG K-501's sound better than with the above...
I tried them on about three different setups and the HR-2 won me over.
This combination gives the K-501's bass and soundstage depth.

I have new found respect for the K-501's with the HR-2.

BANGPOD

Jan 19, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 19
Emmeline HR-2 with AD-797's...

I have not heard the AKG K-501's sound better than with the above...
I tried them on about three different setups and HR-2 won me over.
This combination gives the K-501's bass and soundstage depth.

I have new found respect for the K-501's with the HR-2.

BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back