What amp to pair with Hifiman Ananda 16Ohm?
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello friends, and happy almost Halloween.

I just got the Hifiman Ananda today. I believe I have the V3 @ 16Ohm with the black cable. So far I have only listened to them on my Shangling UP4. They are terrific. I'm wondering though if it would be safe to use them unbalanced @ low gain on my Fiio K7 desktop amp? It's a lot more power and I'm just not sure if it's safe to run a fairly high sensitivity 16Ohm headphone on them as that amp has always been too much for IEMs and even my Shure SRH840A and I don't want to overdrive the Anandas. As my username suggests I am broke and I have to save to buy all my stuff. Thanks everyone.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 7
The Shure 840A are 40-Ohm, wild guess your IEMs are around 12-Ohms(?).
At 160-Ohms, guess Ananda would work well plugged into the FiiO K7, with both low and high gain settings :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 7
No 16, not 160.
Oops, my bad. not even close to 160-Ohms.
But I'm finding listings from 14-Ohms, to 26-Ohms, for the Ananda (which is still way way lower than 160-Ohms).
From my understanding, too much power will first start to hurt your eardrums, before damaging the headphone diaphragm (or so I've heard).
But using low gain setting, really really doubt you going to damage the Anandas.

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the Ananda Stealth, you can tell which you have since the original weighs 440g and the stealth I have is 403g. I use the Sabaj A20h and got it for $80 on Amazon and it's amazing. The balanced side has 4 times the power, and Faael balanced cables for it on Amazon are $15 or just got a 2 pack for $25 and they're completely transparent also.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Well I tried with the K7 both bal and unbal. Didn't like it. K7 is too dark sounding for these cans and also it sounded way overpowered like the headphones didn't like it.
Found a semi happy medium running the headphones off my UP4 on high gain/balanced.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Anandas are very easy to run so you honestly dont even need an amp. My advice would be to source a meizu black dongle (there not made anymore, but you can still sometimes find them). Its a very nice amp/dac dongle, and youd be extremely hard pressed to notice the diff between said dongle and a 600$ chain (+that dongle is genuinely fire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back