What amp should i get?
Jun 14, 2008 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Steggy

100+ Head-Fier
Right now i have sennheiser 595's and i plan on getting a pair of grado sr60s and an amp thanks to a spare paycheck i have lying around. I was looking at different amps, and am lookin for help. the amps i've been looking at are the cmoy, pa2v2, and the mini^3. i was kind of ruling the cmoy out because the only soundly built ones i saw on ebay were more than i expected. looking at the price i figured hey why not just go up to the pa2v2. but then i was talking to someone and he said the pa2v2 doesn't really make the headphones sound better, it just kinda makes em louder. he suggested the mini^3. i was wondering what the difference really would be? and the link he gave me to rockhopper wasnt really good because from what i saw, it stopped production and it said it was slated to be back in april(now it june haha).

so what should i do fellas?

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 12
bumpity.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 12
depends what wanna use it for and from what source!!
what price range?

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 12
i want to use it to drive and improve the quality of my 595s and future sr60s. id like it in the 70-90 price range like all of those are basically a part of. i just wanted opinions of the pocket amps i listed, and possibly any other small amp that could be thrown in the mix.

and the question about how i would be able to get a rockhopper mini if i were to choose it

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Where are you and are you talkin dollars or £'s??

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 12
NE, so dollars.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 12
A Mini3 might be tough at that budget - probably $75 in parts for DIY, but a built one will be/should be well over $100.

That said, it is vastly superior to anything else you mentioned and can provide equal parts detail and oomph for both a 595 and an SR60.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Mini3 might be tough at that budget - probably $75 in parts for DIY, but a built one will be/should be well over $100.

That said, it is vastly superior to anything else you mentioned and can provide equal parts detail and oomph for both a 595 and an SR60.
smily_headphones1.gif

yea, i know it would be like 120 or around there, i was just saying for other suggestions would be better in the range lol. but yea, i think i might go for it, but once again, how could i get one? i don't see any stores sellin em :/

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 12
looking for cmoy i have a very decent one got off ebay by biosciencegeek!!
is about 50 dollars and he will set it up to suit ur phones just let him know what you are after!! is ultra helpful and if pressed will offer a choice of enclosue as i understand
Other than that little dot micros seem to be well quoted here for the price also available on ebay. might be ever so slightly more expensive around 100 bucks

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, i know it would be like 120 or around there, i was just saying for other suggestions would be better in the range lol. but yea, i think i might go for it, but once again, how could i get one? i don't see any stores sellin em :/

Check the source of the amp's designer - AMB Audio Labs - The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier.

At the bottom of the first page, AMB lists Rockhopper (Head-Fi user "Thrice"), "MisterX" and "applegd".

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Save up. Get a paper route. and get a ibasso D2 Boa for $175 and save yourself from wishing you would have upgraded in the first place. Cmoy's are decent I started with one but wish I wish I had spent the money on a proper amp the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back