What amp should I get for $350> ?
Feb 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get a dac/amp for my DT770 pro-80 and (soon to come) Sr-80 headphones (and any others in the future). I mostly listen to classic rock, but also spend a lot of time listening to jazz, some bluegrass, folk, country, celtic, etc. Essentially a bit of everything.

I've been reading some of the other threads and so far the Compass has caught my eye, but I really don't know anything about amps, opamps or anything else that has to do with their inner workings. I have tried reading the Compass page on his website, but most of it is WAY beyond my knowledge. These are probably stupid questions, but can you hook it up to someting like an Ipod, how do you hook it up, is there anything else I should know about amp operation before buying so that I have an idea of what I'm doing when it arrives?

Would this be a good amp for me or are there other better options out there that I should look at? Also, if I did go for the Compass, when should I be looking at buying it and what components (and extras) should I get with it?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 3
The Compass has enough inputs to serve your needs. Can get an adapter for your iPod, feed it through 2 RCA plugs or optical be best.

If you decide to use your computer, I'd use USB. If you have an external CD player or whatever, the 2 RCA plugs, especially since the final version will have those upgraded to pure OFC, gold plated RCA inputs, supposedly very expensive. Anyways, good luck with you findings.

If you need something cheaper and if you plan to use your iPod exclusively, may I suggest you use a protable amplifier instead? And get an iMod so you won't need a DAC. The iPod already uses a Woflson DAC, its just the amp in it blows balls. Can have signal directed from DAC through line out directly into a Amp.

There are DIY directions for the iMod.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 3
So what additional parts should I look at getting? Would you recommend that I get the cable upgrade, one (or both) of the additional opamps and/or anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back