What amp for SRH840 [noob question]
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Headxoxote

New Head-Fier
Hey i'm really noob at amps so i'm asking here. I want an amp to pair with my SRH840's + Xonar Essence STX (gonna use its DAC), so i was thinking of getting the jdslabs O2 or the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, or a better recommendation between $120~170.
New at this hobby so i really need help for what will give me the best sound for my budget, thanks in advance. ;]

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hey i'm really noob at amps so i'm asking here. I want an amp to pair with my SRH840's + Xonar Essence STX (gonna use its DAC), so i was thinking of getting the jdslabs O2 or the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc, or a better recommendation between $120~170.
New at this hobby so i really need help for what will give me the best sound for my budget, thanks in advance. ;]

The SRH 840 + Xonar will work alright, no amp needed.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't a separated amp be better?

I'm not sure how much of a difference will be present. The Xonar has an amp. Its not really a question of a separate/built in amp, its the implementation that matters, and I feel the Xonar is alright.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey man, I own the 840's and the E11 and E12 and honestly the E11 is perfect for the 840's.

I bought the E12 for my Sennheiser HD600's because they provide more power (which the E11 just couldn't do) and I am very happy with the results.

For the cost I would go for the E11. It's a steal at $60 with the 840 and the Bass Boost (setting 1 on low gain) brings the lows to life. It provides a LOUD and clear listening experience. The E12 pushes the 840's about the same as the E11 and I actually prefer how the bass sounds on the E11 with the 840's compared to the E12.

With the 840's you'll be getting about the same performance from the E11 and E12. If you had a higher-end pair of cans with higher power requirements then I would recommend the E12, because that's where that amp shines. You would not be disappointed with the E11. There's a reason it's the #2 portable amp on head-fi.It's a little beast.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Of course my last reply was for a GREAT "portable" option.

The only desktop amp that I own is the Schiit Magni ($99) and I couldn't recommend this amp any more either.

It's honestly worth triple the cost for what performance you get out of it. It's beautiful, powerful, and inexpensive. It's the Schiit!!

May 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I just picked up the HiFiMAN EF2A from another member here at Head-Fi, and it's also a great match with the 840. If you're looking for a Tube/DAC option, pick up the EF2A. It has some minor balance issues at very low volume, but if you can look past this then it's another good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back