What amp for DT990, HD650 and Grados w/ rock and electronic music?
Jul 23, 2007 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

snoxu

100+ Head-Fier
To get to the point of my post first, I've decided to return a recently purchased Corda Opera and try something else. Yes!

I'm not enjoying the Opera's sound and I'm going to trust my ears and instincts and return it while I still can. I don't want people to get me wrong, it has been great dealing with Jan Meier, and I'm left with the impression that technically the Opera is a solid product, but it comes down to whether I feel the Opera as a DAC/amp combo suits my personal tastes in music, which unfortunately it doesn't.

As far as music goes, I mainly listen to rock, electronic music and some hip hop (Tool, Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Outkast to name a few) Did I mention I listen to ROCK!! As in I can't deal with a boring setup lol. I emphasize this because my main gripe with the Opera is that it sounds somewhat dry, uninvolving, unexciting with my current cans (DT990 and HD650) and a two others I auditioned (K701 and Ultrasone Proline 750).

A few people here suggest I try different sources with the Opera and I went out my way and auditioned the prohibitively expensive Bel Canto CD1 and the Bel Canto DAC3 which was, well, in vain because the Opera still sounded like the Opera.

Taking this into account, I would appreciate some pointers as to what I should try next. Another SS amp maybe a tube amp. I really want to try to get it right this time. I'm shooting for amp that will make whatever cans or genre I'm listening to sound more "musical", detailed, and exciting and not somewhat lean and sterile like the Opera.

(BTW while my current cans are the DT990, HD650, from what I've read and what was suggested to me I'll will likely get some Grados, might give the K701 another try too.)

A few recommendations of a bit more beefier and "musical" SS or tube amps that do not sacrifice soundstage and detail is all I'm asking here.

(I must add that I don't want to sell and arm and a leg for an amp because I will soon need a DAC too. I'm expecting a few to suggest the likes of Zana Deux ou GS-X and while I would love to own one, at 1800-1900 USD those are expensive for me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back