What amp for deep bass ?
May 22, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
xp7 is deep but it's really not visceral as others ...

...feeling that is "rattling between among ass and stomach"

You seem to be describing my bass shaker, maybe that is what you need
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 30
I do think the amp will make a difference. See my thread just posted on the Perreaux/NAD comparison. Bass or lack of bass slam is what made me return the Perreaux... and it is a terrific amp.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 22, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The Singlepower PPX3 is probably your best bet for great bass in that price range. It is also a versatile amp that is able to drive many different headphones very well.

Definately a great amp for bass. This thing has a good amount of bass, and with certain tubes, it can really kick.

May 22, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 30
If you want bass, I would look for the amp with the biggest/best power supply. Biggest in terms of current delivery.

May 25, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 30
Hi,

Try the Rega Ear - very articulate, deep, accurate and fast bass: the classic PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing).

But the Ear requires a long time to run in (as in all Rega, Linn & Naim products). The bass is strong but does not overpower - in accordance to the musical architecture of the track you are listening to.

It has heaps of power. According to Rega Engineers that I wrote to, they say that it has enough power to even drive 8 ohm speakers, although the output devices need heat sinking for this!

But there's a problem to the Ear: it's too cheap and so does not have enough status appeal!

Regards!
600smile.gif

May 25, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus
I would think that any amp in the 3-500 dollar(PPA on the low end here...not sure what for the high spectrum) range would be equal in terms of bass out put. The real item of concern should be the headphones. Those would dictate how much bass could be output.

Basically any amp of high quality will be sufficient. It's not the amp IMO that hinders the bass output once you buy something of high quality. The headphones become the bottle neck.

Seconded. Any decent amp should be able to produce deep bass. However, it seems most people who replied to this thread seemed to think he meant LOUDER bass. Again, I agree that bass loudness should primarily be a characteristic of the headphone.

May 25, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman
Hi,

Try the Rega Ear - very articulate, deep, accurate and fast bass: the classic PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing).

But the Ear requires a long time to run in (as in all Rega, Linn & Naim products). The bass is strong but does not overpower - in accordance to the musical architecture of the track you are listening to.

It has heaps of power. According to Rega Engineers that I wrote to, they say that it has enough power to even drive 8 ohm speakers, although the output devices need heat sinking for this!

But there's a problem to the Ear: it's too cheap and so does not have enough status appeal!

Regards!
600smile.gif

I'd like to try the rega ear
... how does it manage the rest ( medium / highs / soundstage ) -it matches well only with the senns ?

May 25, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Seconded. Any decent amp should be able to produce deep bass. However, it seems most people who replied to this thread seemed to think he meant LOUDER bass. Again, I agree that bass loudness should primarily be a characteristic of the headphone.

Well, PPA's bass boost DOES make bass LOUDER, though...
wink.gif
Not to mention that it does go deep as well.

May 25, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
I fourth the PPA w/ Bass Boost.

I mean, if it can make the ER-4S bass seem very visceral...
eek.gif
basshead.gif
eek.gif

My full monty has plenty of bass without the bass boost, so I'd imagine a PPA with BB would suit you well.

May 26, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 30
Hi Boodi,

Thanks for asking! The great thing about the Rega Ear is that music is presented as a coherent whole - bass, midrange and highs sound connected together and presented in temporal accuracy. But I must warn you that if it is not run-in yet, it will probably sound rather bloated and disjointed.

Similar to the bass, the mid-range is very transparent. It is a full bodied sound although slanting, in my opinion, to the dryer side of things. This is not necessary a criticism, as the reality is, most music (as in pop, jazz, rock and such genres) are recorded slightly bass heavy. This dryness tends to clean up the 'bloatedness' of such recordings. In that sense, the Ear is voiced for 'real' music as opposed to audiophile music.

The highs are very smooth once it is well run-in only. It is important though that your source is good because if there is grit in the playback, this will be picked up by the Rega Ear.

In terms of soundstage and dynamics, it sounds very open and powerful. I listened to Track 6 of Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack (Disc 2) 2 nights ago and the Ear had an iron fist grip on the extreme business of this track (BTW, this track is excellent for running in equipment). The HD 650s were pumping out real fast and tight bass and I could detect no congestion in the mids or highs whatsoever.
600smile.gif
I was using the volume at 8 o'clock only (my CD player is rated at 2.5V output) - the power reserve seems endless. Tight, musical and dynamic are what I could sum up the experience.

As have been written in previous threads, the Ear was voiced with Sennheisers (such as 580s & 600s) and thus probably sounds best with higher impendence headphones. I have not tried Grados with them. In my opinion, the ER-4S also sounds great with the Ear.
etysmile.gif

Enjoy trying out the equipment! Hope this helps!

May 26, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #28 of 30
After the NYC meet at Grado Labs...
Singlepower PPX3, without a doubt.
biggrin.gif

Scott

May 26, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #29 of 30
I don't have much experience with the lower-end models of the Singlepower line, but from my experience with them, I would recommend those as my first choice.

But I have to mention the AudioValve RKV -- before the Singlepowers came along, that would have been a clear first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back