What amp for AKG 240 Monitor Headphones
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rammstein2k

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I recently purchases a pair of AKG 240 Monitor heaphones at 600 ohms or whatever the ohms mean. I have an amp that I bought off ebay, no clue what brand if it even has a brand. So when I used my AKG headphones for the first time I noticed that the volume output was very low and if I increased it the bass would crackle and everything would sound really bad. I've been reading around and it seems that the amp I have isn't capable of driving these headphones and this is where you audio experts come in!!
smily_headphones1.gif
What amp should I be looking for so I can get the most out of my headphones while keeping portability? Thanks!

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 9
So you're looking for a portable amp to drive these 600 Ohm cans?

Wow. Expect to pay a lot or DIY. I used to own the K240M but I don't think I ever dared to amp them with a portable...I guess it depends on how loud you want them to go.

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 9
lol, damn! I bought these because I read that they were good for trance music. Probably are, just they probably need to be plugged into a turntable or equalizer (I don't know much :p). Ok so I guess portability is out of the question, which is alright. What kind of amp should I be looking at that can give me most of what my cans can do but at a fair price? If you could only be so kind to help me out
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks a lot

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're looking for a portable amp to drive these 600 Ohm cans?

Wow. Expect to pay a lot or DIY. I used to own the K240M but I don't think I ever dared to amp them with a portable...I guess it depends on how loud you want them to go.

I'm gonna dare that with a 2Move that'll arrive next week. Jan said that in high current mode it is able to drive it (I got the AKG K241s but I guess they shouldn't differ that much...). On the unrelated hand I used these straight out from my macbook's headphone out into a $40-ish mixer and they sounded suprisingly good, though I imagine they would sound way better with a proper amp.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 9
The only home amp that I've used with my K240M(when I had them) was a Woo Audio 3 tube amp. I remember using the volume at 2~3 O'clock whereas I use around 10 O'clock for HD 650. I don't know of any specific amps that will mate well with these cans...I don't imagine any portable amp will properly drive them.

To my ears they sounded very good in general but were not a rockin' can with any slam...no big bass which I like, so to me it seemed like I couldn't get them really cookin'.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 9
High impedance phones need high voltage swing. I would look at a Headamp Gilmore Lite (upgrade later to DPS) or CKKIII. Check out Rockhopper Audio's CKKIII or build one yourself, it is a very versatile amp with very high power output. One thing is for sure, portable amps are out of the question.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 9
I actually had a similar question and I didn't want to post a fresh topic so I figuerd I'd briefly high jack the thread
biggrin.gif

I bought a Fubar III which I absolutely love... but my head sets are absolutely TERRIBLE.

So today, I decided that it's about high time I buy myself a new set.

I heard a lot of good things about AKG, and this is the model I chose based on the cost, my budget and what I wanted. After reading this thread, is this still a good idea? Based on the amp I use?

I'd like to be 100% sure before I purchase, so any insight would be very appreciated.

For reference, this is the Headset I want (AKG K240 Stereo)

Please also keep in mind when replying Im pretty new so sorry if these are stupid questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Thx!
AAF

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 9
I also once owned the K240S. It's more fun than the K240M even if not as accurate. For the price it's a good choice imo.

The K240S is fairly easy to drive so I'll bet that the Fubar III will have no problem.

Enjoy your Groovalizer( I think that's the term lol)
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also once owned the K240S. It's more fun than the K240M even if not as accurate. For the price it's a good choice imo.

The K240S is fairly easy to drive so I'll bet that the Fubar III will have no problem.

Enjoy your Groovalizer( I think that's the term lol)
eggosmile.gif

Thanks very much for the reply.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to get something not compatible, now that its' safe I've ordered up my new headphones! They should be here in a few weeks
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to hear the difference... I have really crappy Sony ones right now, this upgrade will do wonders!

Thanks again!
AAF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back