What amp does AKG K340 need?
Sep 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flordenuve

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have a pair of the apparently very power hungry AKG K340, and I don't own a headphone amplifier. However I do happen to own a professional dj-mixer that states that it has a built-in headphone amplifier of 230mW/400Ω with a gain adjustment of ±15dB.
I don't know what that means, really. How powerful is a proper full-size headphone amp? Is my mixer even close to being worthy of powering a pair of decent headphones? Very thankful for any replies.
thank you
/flor

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 7
You may be the only one that can answer whether your mixer can power the K340 well. Plug it in and try it.

IMO, the K340 is best driven by a powerful tube amp. I've owned my K340 for about 15 years and I've tried many SS amps that left me unimpressed. Some of the notable SS amps that I've tried include the Grace 901, RSA Apache, and Rudistor RPX33 mkII. I would take my RSA Raptor with the latest updates and NOS tubes over any of SS amps that I have tried. I'm sure there are other powerful tube amps that would do well too. I haven't tried the DV337 or the Mapletree HD Super but I'm guessing they would do a good job of driving the K340.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Alright, cheers. So normally how powerful are the headphone amps that work well with the K340?
I mean, when I plug them into the mixer they sure sound loud enough, but I don't know what other effects a headphone amp might have on the performance of headphones, except for mere sound volume.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 7
I would have to agree that a powerfull tube amp is the way to go with the K340s. Not sure if the Raptor qualifies though...

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to agree that a powerfull tube amp is the way to go with the K340s. Not sure if the Raptor qualifies though...

Maybe the Raptor doesn't qualify as a powerful tube amp
rolleyes.gif
, but it sounds better driving the K340s than the 3 well regarded SS amps that I mentioned.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Oh yeah, without a doubt. The only solid state amp that I've been happy with for the K340's was my old dynahi... but even then, the tonality wasn't quite right. Wasn't trying to 'dis' your amp by the way, I just think that the K340's respond well with tons of voltage swing and loads of current, and the Raptor falls short at the volume levels I usually listen at.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, without a doubt. The only solid state amp that I've been happy with for the K340's was my old dynahi... but even then, the tonality wasn't quite right. Wasn't trying to 'dis' your amp by the way, I just think that the K340's respond well with tons of voltage swing and loads of current, and the Raptor falls short at the volume levels I usually listen at.

I also have a dynahi, and I have the same experience with the K340. I've been much happier with the headphone out on a Baby Sophia clone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back